New CVT CVT for tne new Corolla ?

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
That's the new engine that'll probably replace the ZR engine series that our Corolla's currently have. Thank God they didn't go to small displacement turbo engines like Honda has. The new 2.0L Dynamic Force engine makes about 169 hp and 151 lb/ft which isn't bad considering it is a lot more efficient with direct injection and VVT-iE. More good news is the new 6 speed manual as well as the new CVT. I hope we get both in NA but we'll have to wait another year or two before we get any glimpse of a new production ready Corolla and it's features here. However, the new Auris is debuting on the 6th which is the Corolla hatchback (iM) so whatever goes in that will give us an idea of what we'll be getting. I'm excited to see how this new powertrain performs!

Thanks for the links Jolly. I wonder if the 2.0 is a design/built BMW engine that the auto mags were talking about? Next car I'm going back to a manual and I'm glad one will still be available.

jolly

wonder if the 2.0 is a design/built BMW engine that the auto mags were talking about?
I doubt it. Rather the little brother of the new 2.5 in Camry, which is good news as that's a performing and efficient engine. If there is a BMW engine, it will most likely be in a limited special version or even more likely on the European market where it's not unusual for BMW and Toyota to share engines. (By the way, Toyota just announce no more diesel in Europe. Those were BMW).

It would be nice if they put the 2.5 with a six speed in the Corolla. There was a lot of talk about a 1.5 turbo BMW mill in the '19s. I have never seen a car kept in secret as much as the next generation. That may be a very good sign. The next gen may be so fabulous that Toyota fears 2018s will sit on the lots unsold. We are in the era of evolutionary not revolutionary styling so I don't expect much there, but I am excited about the mechanical aspects of the next gen. Now if they would only bring back rear wheel drive.

jolly

There was a lot of talk about a 1.5 turbo BMW mill in the '19s.
Personally, I haven't heard such a specific rumor. Just that there might be a BMW engine, a rumor probably based on the fact that exchange of engines between BMW and Toyota, including Corolla, are not unusual for the European market. 1.5T would be nice for a niche/image engine but in the econobox compact segment, turbos are more often used to gain EPA mpg numbers with small engines that don't always translate in real life or performance.
I have never seen a car kept in secret as much as the next generation. That may be a very good sign.
Be patient ;). That's quite normal marketing : calculated rumors, pseudo-leaked or spy pictures, pre-production model presentation... The car is still months away from being available in Europe, plus another year in North America. Old GM used to unveil details on models a couple of years in advance... only generating a "deja view" impression at launch. On the other hand FCA rushed the otherwise quite good Dart without having the complete line/options available, turning away forever a whole bunch of consumers. Creating a momentum is marketing art !
Now if they would only bring back rear wheel drive.
:cool:... But it won't happen with a mass market compact/practical car. Try a Cadillac ATS for a cramped interior... yet it shows the option exist, just not in models that sell 1 million+ every year.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Thanks for the links Jolly. I wonder if the 2.0 is a design/built BMW engine that the auto mags were talking about? Next car I'm going back to a manual and I'm glad one will still be available.
The 2.0L is Toyota's Dynamic Force engine which they've made themselves. The BMW engine is supposedly being put into the next gen Auris sports model which is reportedly called the GTi. I think since Toyota is working with BMW for the new Supra, those rumors started but if this is true, it could possibly be in the Japan release of the Auris. I haven't heard an update on this rumor since so I don't know how true it still is.