New Kid With a Few Questions

Hey everyone, I'm new here and have some questions. I do not own a corolla, but I am looking at one for college. I am a car guy, and currently have a highly modified 93 fox mustang 5.0L. I know quite a bit about it, and of other cars. But, i dont know any specifics about corollas. The one im looking at is an 84. It has EFI, which i thought it would be carb'd but i guess not. It has 147XXX miles, and sounds and drives very mechanically sound. It has A LOT of cancer, but the body is straight, and I need the MPG. My stang gets about 18 mpg highway on a good day lol. So i need economy for college. So my questions are these. I know that corollas are VERY reliable cars, and 147XXX miles isnt much for one, but when i test drove it, it blew a decent cloud of blue smoke on start up :/. I didnt notice any smoke while driving, but thought i could smell it. Anyways, if it only burns on start up, it probably only needs valve seals. I can do this on my own, and was wondering if it was hard for anyone else who has done it? I'm assuming it wasnt. I've done it on an older V8 before, so i have some experience, just never have worked on a Toyota. Also, is it common to replace valve seals at around 150XXX miles? I wouldnt think so, but like i said, ive never owned a corolla. The oil was BLACK, so im assuming it wasnt well cared for, which would probably cause the burining oil problem. Anyhow, looking forward to responses! I'll make a decision on it in a week or two. Would like some answers soon. Thanks!

The only way to be sure how the engine oil is being consumed is with a compression test.

Be very wary of purchasing a neglected car with a potentially worn out engine. There's scads of Corolla's around to choose from.