New to the corolla looking for some help!

Tony34

Hey guys I just recently bought a 2014 Toyota Corolla s. I am looking to add more horse power to my car any suggestions?

This has been asked a hundred times in this forum.
You might be able to get 10 extra ponies but that's about it.
Unless you have a LOT of extra money!!
The main upgrades that members have been doing are exhaust and intake.

It's cheaper to just turbocharge your Corolla than do an engine swap. I gained 100HP with my turbo install with a mild tune. It's an amazing car to drive now in every regard.

Is there anything else I could add besides another engine or turbo.
You can add an intake and exhaust. I had a Borla exhaust and Takeda SRI before I did my turbo. I saw about a 10HP gain on the dyno. It's a small amount but if you want some serious extra power then go turbo. You can get the kit from Turbokits.com for under $3k, by far the most HP per dollar of any mod.

What other supporting mods did you have to do when you added your turbo?
The kit is designed to be able to do it alone if you want to. I chose some optional mods but they are optional. I decided to ceramic coat the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe and upgrade the exhaust but those are not must do things for the turbo to deliver some much wanted additional power. People spend a lot of money on things that only give them a small amount of additional power when it would be best to just do it right the first time. Turbojets.com spent a lot of time, money and resources to design and test this kit to make it work seamlessly. Don't hesitate to call or email them with any questions! They are fantastic at helping.

So I was looking at borla exhaust system kits. Is borla good for this type of car or is there a better brand for this car?
Borla is an amazing company period. Their S-Type exhaust kit a fantastic bolt-on upgrade for any Corolla. I just haven't seen any stats on how much of a gain you get. I doubt that it's much, as you're not increasing the diameter of the exhaust pipes at all. Just a different, chrome-plated muffler & bigger tip. I'm looking to add this to mine once I finish my suspension upgrades all the same though.

The kit is designed to be able to do it alone if you want to. I chose some optional mods but they are optional. I decided to ceramic coat the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe and upgrade the exhaust but those are not must do things for the turbo to deliver some much wanted additional power. People spend a lot of money on things that only give them a small amount of additional power when it would be best to just do it right the first time. Turbojets.com spent a lot of time, money and resources to design and test this kit to make it work seamlessly. Don't hesitate to call or email them with any questions! They are fantastic at helping.
What engine do you have in your Corolla though? Is it the same 1.8L 2ZR?

The Borla exhaust is excellent. With that and a Takeda SRI I measured 125HP at the wheels on a dyno which was a good 8-13HP gain depending on drivetrain loss of 10-15%. I noticed the difference on my Corolla.

Bunta

i would try to keep the it an N/A engine since turbo charged engines require more up keeping than a normal one. but yeah, turbo would add alot and maybe cheaper option than an engine swap. the other suggestions are also good. another thing would be a fuel additive.

i would try to keep the it an N/A engine since turbo charged engines require more up keeping than a normal one. but yeah, turbo would add alot and maybe cheaper option than an engine swap. the other suggestions are also good. another thing would be a fuel additive.

Interesting results. I've never heard of this product. As far as the extra maintenance for a turbocharged car the onlyreal difference that is needed is to do oil changes more often. I'll be doing mine every 5k miles while still using synthetic. A small thing for an extra 100HP.

Bunta

Interesting results. I've never heard of this product. As far as the extra maintenance for a turbocharged car the onlyreal difference that is needed is to do oil changes more often. I'll be doing mine every 5k miles while still using synthetic. A small thing for an extra 100HP.
you forgot keeping up with the conditions of the hoses for the whole system. it puts more stress on them and when ever there's a vacuum leak, the whole system fails. the car will pretty much struggle at 35 mph and it'll be a pain in the ass to locate the source of the leak. and if you don't know about vacuum leaks and take it to a mechanic , you're running the risk of getting jipped, because they'll tell you its a transmission issue when it's not. basically my main issue with turbo engines is this problem, the oil change isn't really an issue. that's i think that a simple n/a engine is best if you're on a budget and not a spoiled rich kid(if so, you can afford the fun and hassles of a turbo engine). another thing that might not be a big issue with many is the lag between the turbo and the engine. i think engineering explained might have made a video about the subject.

you forgot keeping up with the conditions of the hoses for the whole system. it puts more stress on them and when ever there's a vacuum leak, the whole system fails. the car will pretty much struggle at 35 mph and it'll be a pain in the ass to locate the source of the leak. and if you don't know about vacuum leaks and take it to a mechanic , you're running the risk of getting jipped, because they'll tell you its a transmission issue when it's not. basically my main issue with turbo engines is this problem, the oil change isn't really an issue. that's i think that a simple n/a engine is best if you're on a budget and not a spoiled rich kid(if so, you can afford the fun and hassles of a turbo engine). another thing that might not be a big issue with many is the lag between the turbo and the engine. i think engineering explained might have made a video about the subject.
I installed the entire turbo system so I know where all the hoses are. You are talking about minor things that can happen to any car. Vacuum leaks don't happen at a higher rate on a turbo car. The idea is to use better silicone hoses for vacuum and you can minimize any the leak issues. If there is a problem as with any car then you just fix it. From your logic you would never want to enjoy a boosted car. I've not had issues with my Supercharged MR2 and others with the Turbokits.com system have had 150k plus miles of trouble free driving with the turbo system. Life is too short not to enjoy some boost because you are worried about "what if" issues. And as far as the turbo lag there isn't any, and I also upgraded the turbo with a billet wheel that spools even quicker. It's designed with a smaller turbo that spools very quickly to eliminate lag. It's also designed to produce a nice HP gain but also retain the reliability of the engine. It's not made for max HP that would have issues with engine life. If you do your homework you can learn a lot about turbocharging a car to have more power but retain reliability.

Bunta

I installed the entire turbo system so I know where all the hoses are. You are talking about minor things that can happen to any car. Vacuum leaks don't happen at a higher rate on a turbo car. The idea is to use better silicone hoses for vacuum and you can minimize any the leak issues. If there is a problem as with any car then you just fix it. From your logic you would never want to enjoy a boosted car. I've not had issues with my Supercharged MR2 and others with the Turbokits.com system have had 150k plus miles of trouble free driving with the turbo system. Life is too short not to enjoy some boost because you are worried about "what if" issues. And as far as the turbo lag there isn't any, and I also upgraded the turbo with a billet wheel that spools even quicker. It's designed with a smaller turbo that spools very quickly to eliminate lag. It's also designed to produce a nice HP gain but also retain the reliability of the engine. It's not made for max HP that would have issues with engine life. If you do your homework you can learn a lot about turbocharging a car to have more power but retain reliability.
they do happen, it's inevitable. although i'm not arguing about the gains you can get from a turb charged engine. it's just not the type of system for a person that may be on a budget or have a limited amount of cashflow for keeping up with the maintenance for it. when i post something about the this subject, it's out of personal experience and not just talking out of my ass. i've owned a turbocharged engine vehicle in the past and know the pros and cons of it. knowing what i know now, it's just a pain to deal with really. n/a engines are reliable and simple. as far as vauum leaks go, turbo charged engines are affected the most from it, since it relies on the extra air for power. it's not fun having that issue when you're on the highway. yes silicone hoses "minimize" the issue, but doesn't get rid of it completely. and if you recall my previous posts, i mention the fact that if you're on a budget, then it's not the best option for you, otherwise go for it. all turbocharged cars suffer from lag, some may handle it better than others. check this video out

they do happen, it's inevitable. although i'm not arguing about the gains you can get from a turb charged engine. it's just not the type of system for a person that may be on a budget or have a limited amount of cashflow for keeping up with the maintenance for it. when i post something about the this subject, it's out of personal experience and not just talking out of my ass. i've owned a turbocharged engine vehicle in the past and know the pros and cons of it. knowing what i know now, it's just a pain to deal with really. n/a engines are reliable and simple. as far as vauum leaks go, turbo charged engines are affected the most from it, since it relies on the extra air for power. it's not fun having that issue when you're on the highway. yes silicone hoses "minimize" the issue, but doesn't get rid of it completely. and if you recall my previous posts, i mention the fact that if you're on a budget, then it's not the best option for you, otherwise go for it. all turbocharged cars suffer from lag, some may handle it better than others. check this video out
My point is that a vacuum leak can happen to any car, turbo or n/a and worrying about one isn't a reason to not enjoy a turbo car. You mentioned the budget issue, not me. Installing and enjoying a turbo Corolla doesn't have to break the bank. And if anyone installs it themselves as I did they will know where every vacuum line is if the issue ever arises. As I pointed out before, owning a car should be fun and having a unique car that is still uber reliable as a turbo Corolla can be when done the right way can be a positive experience. What kind of turbo car did you own?

As far as turbo lag, I understand the issue. Many cars though now have minimized it to the point where it's not even noticeable. When running a big turbo there will be more lag. That's the benefit of a small turbo with a very light billet wheel as it spins very easily and quickly. I notice the response of the car even when off boost now much better then before the turbo. With the turbo I can tell the vacuum pressure is much closer to 0 and positive pressure as the turbo wheel is still spinning even when off boost. They did a great job of R&D on this setup for the 2ZR-FE engine. When I punch the throttle the response is so quick with so much more thrust then when it was a n/a motor the difference isn't even close. The turbo lag is so insignificant that it can't be felt or noticed. Even the shop that tuned it for me were very impressed and they tune and build a lot more powerful cars than my Corolla!

https://jet.com/product/detail/7acb...&clickid=8d9cd605-0c6b-4237-befa-689f033dbb59

Does anyone know if this a good set of headers or is there better ones out there?
Those are for a 7th Gen Corolla from 93-97. If you have an 11th Gen since this is the forum you posted in they won't fit! If you want headers for the 2ZR-FE I would look at the excellent set up from RPM. Here is a thread about them when they were first designing them. Just Google them to contact them for even more information.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...m-header-midpipe-group-buy-7-28-8-11-a-7.html

How about any performance intake manifolds?
I looked into these a while ago also. Never found any.
Your gonna be hard pressed to find any bolt on parts that will make a substantial difference.
Standard bolt on items like full exhaust, aftermarket intake and turbo chargers will make it more fun to drive.
But without having some head work done, it's only going to be nominal.
With that said, there is a company offering head work for these cars. But I can't remember who at the moment.
Monkey wrench racing maybe?

Tony34

I looked into these a while ago also. Never found any.
Your gonna be hard pressed to find any bolt on parts that will make a substantial difference.
Standard bolt on items like full exhaust, aftermarket intake and turbo chargers will make it more fun to drive.
But without having some head work done, it's only going to be nominal.
With that said, there is a company offering head work for these cars. But I can't remember who at the moment.
Monkey wrench racing maybe?
Thanks for the advice seriously! You definitely have been a huge help!

Thanks for the advice seriously! You definitely have been a huge help!
As I pointed out, if you want more power and more fun you can't go wrong with the turbo kit from Turbokits.com for under $3k. Nothing compares when it comes to $$$ per HP. The install was straight forward so you don't have to pay for any labor if you do it yourself. If you don't want to go this route then expect to pay decent money for 10-15 HP compared to 100 HP.