(Newbie) EXHAUST

Hey guys, just bought my first Corolla. I am wondering what your opinions are on exhaust.... I would like something throaty but not loud. Just want the the muffler and not the entire cat back system. Anyone try out a Borla yet? :eek:

Hey guys, just bought my first Corolla. I am wondering what your opinions are on exhaust.... I would like something throaty but not loud. Just want the the muffler and not the entire cat back system. Anyone try out a Borla yet? :eek:
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup::clap::thumbup1::balloon::party:

With lower restriction aftermarket mufflers, be advised that they can cause a loss of torque and throttle response, which will reduce fuel economy. With the current Obama administration and the ever rising prices for fuel, fuel economy is an important consideration.

It is about impossible to make a 4-cylinder economy engine sound like a high performance V-8 engine. The common result sounds like a vacuum cleaner with a wasps nest inside. :lol:

The most effective way to make a 4-cylinder engine sound like a high performance V-8 is to record the exhaust sound of a 1970 Chevelle SS 454, run some speakers under your car near the muffler and have a CD on loop playing the sound of the 454's exhaust. :thumbsup: :)

I just put a borla on mine, I ordered it for a13 s so it had to be modified but it has a good throaty sound and DOES NOT DRONE INSIDE THE CAR. I wish I could put a sound clip on here but I just don't have the booklearnin to do it.

I meant to ask you...what shape and pipe position did you get? The "search" tool on the Magaflow site only goes up to 2010 for Toyota Corollas. Which shape and pipe position works best for the '14 'Rolla?
The axle back system I ordered was from SUMMIT RACING part number 20154 for a 13 corolla S $309, the system almost fits but needed to be modded. The over the axle pipe was not bent quite enough to fit the flange and the tip stuck out too far but both where easily fixed, otherwise the hangers fit good.But if you want a really good sound, this is it. Borla did a very good job on this one, i've had aseveral aftermarket systems but this one is by far the best i think toyota could put this on as an add on to the S model and some wheels and maybe that bushwacker trim I saw from the 13 sema show and that would be a sweet ride. all you would have to do then is lower it a little and your good. Just my opinion. if you want to here mine I put a clip on youtube look for "BORLA EXHAUST 2014 COROLLA" and look for my name "MARTIN EVANS" and enjoy. finally got these pictures to load, I knew that 6th grade education would kick in one day.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice video! GoPro with a suction cup, I presume? I like the sound.

(Not sure what that strange chirping noise is though, you should have a mechanic look into that...:laughing: )

What did you have to do to mod it? It does look like the tip is sticking out a bit far. Have you done anything about that since you made the video?

The axle back system I ordered was from SUMMIT RACING part number 20154 for a 13 corolla S $309, the system almost fits but needed to be modded. The over the axle pipe was not bent quite enough to fit the flange and the tip stuck out too far but both where easily fixed, otherwise the hangers fit good.But if you want a really good sound, this is it. Borla did a very good job on this one, i've had aseveral aftermarket systems but this one is by far the best i think toyota could put this on as an add on to the S model and some wheels and maybe that bushwacker trim I saw from the 13 sema show and that would be a sweet ride. all you would have to do then is lower it a little and your good. Just my opinion. if you want to here mine I put a clip on youtube look for "BORLA EXHAUST 2014 COROLLA" and look for my name "MARTIN EVANS" and enjoy.
You talking about this?
http://www.borla.com/products/corolla_s_corolla_xrs_rear_section_exhaust_part__11795.html

That part number you provided goes toward a borla exhaust tip...

Nice video! GoPro with a suction cup, I presume? I like the sound.

(Not sure what that strange chirping noise is though, you should have a mechanic look into that...:laughing: )

What did you have to do to mod it? It does look like the tip is sticking out a bit far. Have you done anything about that since you made the video?
That's the same camera and mount I use in the car, basic samsung camcorder and suction cup w/mount, it records sound very good, I played it from YouTube on my surround system and it was awesome, I was bored..

I liked it. I was considering a muffler and get custom 2.5" piping but I don't know if it would fit under the back, I'm afraid it would scrape on bumps and high grade parking ramps.

Sticking with the stock size piping usually is better because increasing the diameter could lose some torque and power. But is your increasing from 2.25 to 2.5 i doubt you'll really lose a huge amount

I was kinda wondering the same thing.

con·text [kon-tekst] noun
1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.
2. the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.