Newbie - Need Some Guidance

I am in the process of getting ready to buy a 2003 Corolla S for my daughter (she totaled her VW Beetle). In light of the "unintended acceleration" (I have read all the horror stories). I am having 2nd thoughts about this. Called Toyota dealer and they said that the "smart stop system" would not go on the older models. So I am guessing that Toyota is not going to do anything about this situation in the older models. The Corolla is being purchased by a guy who buys older models, fixes them up and sells them, and I don't know yet if he knows about this situation. We were going to buy a 1996 Camry from him, but he had already sold it the day before. He then said he was getting ready to go pick up the Corolla, if we wanted to see it. He had put a motor in it, and it was bad, so he is putting another one in it. He has already replaced the fog lights, put a new windshield in it yesterday, going to have it detailed before we see it again. It is a 1 owner, auto, 188,000 miles, and is blue. I have been researching(forums, recalls and complaints) on different cars for the past 2 months, and every make and model ALL seem to have major problems. Soo, any direction you can give me would be helpful.

Jon

Administrator
It sounds like if this mechanic is doing such extensive work on the car, I'd think more about how his track record as a mechanic is, perhaps more-so than the corolla history. It sounds like you are getting a car that is going to be significantly re-built. Is he putting in new corolla motor, or dropping something else in?

I seen the motor, but didn't pay that much attention to it. He had put the motor in, and took it back to the place where he got it while still in the car cause he was hearing something that wasn't right, and they confirmed it. So they are making good on it and giving him another one. He has mostly worked on Camry's, said he sold about 5 in the last 2 weeks which some of them where the older 1990 models and stills has some left to sell. We only have enough money to buy the older models, so I figured that a Toyota would be a good car to get for her. She doesn't really drive alot of miles for lack of money.

I am in the process of getting ready to buy a 2003 Corolla S for my daughter (she totaled her VW Beetle). In light of the "unintended acceleration" (I have read all the horror stories). I am having 2nd thoughts about this. Called Toyota dealer and they said that the "smart stop system" would not go on the older models. So I am guessing that Toyota is not going to do anything about this situation in the older models. The Corolla is being purchased by a guy who buys older models, fixes them up and sells them, and I don't know yet if he knows about this situation. We were going to buy a 1996 Camry from him, but he had already sold it the day before. He then said he was getting ready to go pick up the Corolla, if we wanted to see it. He had put a motor in it, and it was bad, so he is putting another one in it. He has already replaced the fog lights, put a new windshield in it yesterday, going to have it detailed before we see it again. It is a 1 owner, auto, 188,000 miles, and is blue. I have been researching(forums, recalls and complaints) on different cars for the past 2 months, and every make and model ALL seem to have major problems. Soo, any direction you can give me would be helpful.
Seems to me that if u think a corolla has more problems than the vw beetle that was totaled you didn't do all the research,I may be new to this forum but have been a master mechanic for 15 years and if taken care of properly 188xxx is low mileage for a Toyota! Good luck on your purchase!

Well, I guess I made the wrong decision! Bought the Corolla on 2-18, found out the catalyic converter was bad, opted to drive it until it gets bad enough to replace, delivered it to daughter on 3-14, and then on 4-16 had a major transmission leak. At the dealer now. So far found out the flexplate was broke, cause the dowell pins were missing. If the CC is not making any noise or has the sulfur smell, about how long would you say it would be before I might have to replace it. This Corolla was made in California, so the emission standards were different?