Next gen Corolla BMW Engine?

Did I just read this right? Supposed to use a BMW engine and be built in Mexico. This goes against everything corolla is know for. Reliability will be questionable to say the least as BMW engines fuk up all the time, been there done that, seen it on family's rides and don't want anything to do with bmw. So what that it may look good and have premium materials when every other week there is a new light popping up on the dashboard and that's being generous.

It's a rumor but Toyota already uses BMW engines (and vice versa) in Europe, which might be the source of the rumor in the first place.
If true, it probably won't be a wall to wall affaire, just a special sporty version, for marketing image and excite the auto reviewers.
Only the canadian Corolla was going to Mexico. Blue Springs (US) production is not affected.
I say "was", because recent news are that the canadian Corolla will rather go to the new Toyota/Mazda plant in US.
Anyway, the next generation of Corolla will be new from top to tires : TNGA platform (Prius, Camry) and new engines. Hope they don't mess up !

It's a rumor but Toyota already uses BMW engines (and vice versa) in Europe, which might be the source of the rumor in the first place.
If true, it probably won't be a wall to wall affaire, just a special sporty version, for marketing image and excite the auto reviewers.
Only the canadian Corolla was going to Mexico. Blue Springs (US) production is not affected.
I say "was", because recent news are that the canadian Corolla will rather go to the new Toyota/Mazda plant in US.
Anyway, the next generation of Corolla will be new from top to tires : TNGA platform (Prius, Camry) and new engines. Hope they don't mess up !
Ahh, cool thanks for the update. Hopefully they won't fudge it up, the question remains, will they use CVT or not? It would be crazy if they dropped it. IF you look at Corolla's 4speed auto, they've used it for decades so it would be crazy if they changed their mind after a 4 year run in the US at least and offer a traditional tranny especially without a reason to do so since the cvt has been damn reliable.

Next Generation Corolla will be made in the US in Mississippi in a new plant with Mazda. Trump intervened, but I think Toyota didn't want to anger their customers with the Mexican thing. I understand the new Mexican plant will make SUV there. The next generation will have a 1.5 turbo BMW to compete with the Sentra SR turbo, and a 2L non turbo. There is also talk of putting the 2.5 liter in as an option. Transmissions will be 6 sp manual, 6 speed auto, an optional 8 speed auto, the CVT is dead. How true this all is I haven't a guess. I was told this at my club by a part owner of a local dealership.

Make it in the USA or Japan just like the IM and other Rolas made in Japan. Mexico might put VW parts instead ( LOL )
no CVT ?! that really sucks, CVT its a GOOD trans !

As I said, how true it is who knows, he has been wrong before and he is a major stockholder in several related dealerships. He made the following predictions over the years. A two door Dodge Charger, the Scion tc to be modified into the new celica for 2017, and a Chrysler 300 convertible. I hated the CVT for freeway use and still do, but it is smooth in city and local 2 lane driving where I drive the most. It is slowly winning me over. I hope they keep it for those who want it, but I'd like to have a 6 speed auto. as an option. The only reason there is a CVT is to meet Café Averages, but I don't think it would be wise to leave current owners out on a limb. Nissan put theirs out before it was perfected and that was a disaster. Maybe they are seeing buyer resistance from all of Nissan's bad press. I don't know

Well, lets C what happens !

I find that the CVT is very slow on take off, but when on the FWY it does pretty good, I seen the speedometer at 120mph and it really does very well and smooth.
I drive the 2017 Rolla iM that comes w a 1.8 Ltr. 8K miles before I star putting ON all of the aftermarket goodies on.

Happy Trails U RollAddicds including my self
3ddie @.

The next generation will have a 1.5 turbo BMW to compete with the Sentra SR turbo, and a 2L non turbo. There is also talk of putting the 2.5 liter in as an option. Transmissions will be 6 sp manual, 6 speed auto, an optional 8 speed auto, the CVT is dead. How true this all is I haven't a guess. I was told this at my club by a part owner of a local dealership.
lol... I believe Toyota has already lost the fight with their 2018 Camry vs 2018 Honda Accord. And you want them to compete with Sentra SR, Civic Type R, or Ford Rs with the Corolla... :confused: They have already fumbled that ball :confused:

As I said, how true it is who knows, he has been wrong before and he is a major stockholder in several related dealerships. He made the following predictions over the years. A two door Dodge Charger, the Scion tc to be modified into the new celica for 2017, and a Chrysler 300 convertible. I hated the CVT for freeway use and still do, but it is smooth in city and local 2 lane driving where I drive the most. It is slowly winning me over. I hope they keep it for those who want it, but I'd like to have a 6 speed auto. as an option. The only reason there is a CVT is to meet Café Averages, but I don't think it would be wise to leave current owners out on a limb. Nissan put theirs out before it was perfected and that was a disaster. Maybe they are seeing buyer resistance from all of Nissan's bad press. I don't know
Who knows indeed... I don't think it's just about CAFE. About 70% of Corollas are sold elsewhere than in US. It's about gas prices, gas availability and, above all, personal budget for it.
Turbo's get rave reviews and EPA numbers but it's often different in real life, while CVT's seem less and less offensive to picky reviewers.
On other markets, BMW engines in Corolla is not a novelty but rather a niche variant thing, just as Toyota's engine in BMW (Mini). It makes sense from a R&D cost perspective.
Corolla is a basic transportation econobox device. They might want a "sportier" variant for marketing but I don't see them going all "performance" without loosing name equity in establishing a valid alternative (Yaris iA isn't, in the value department).
On the other hand, the current cvt will 10 be years old when the new Corolla comes to market. So there might be a change in one way or the other.
But again, who knows... so many "experts" were saying that the new TNGA Camry would ditch the V6 and go all CVT. Didn't happen !

Next Generation Corolla will be made in the US in Mississippi in a new plant with Mazda. Trump intervened, but I think Toyota didn't want to anger their customers with the Mexican thing
I think you mean "made in the US in Mississippi AND in a new plant with Mazda". The Mississippi plant was never ever set to lose Corolla production. The canadian Corolla was the one going to Mexico, now going to the new Toyota-Mazda partnership. Both the current canadian and new mexican plant are set for SUV and trucks instead. Guess where the market is ?