Not A Rattle But A Clank On Movement

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Pass side:

Dash inside, as well possibly door area.

car movement from dead stand still to go, clank, clank. the sound is like the Clankers from the 1970's before Dons time, Scott may know that sound, but he may not played with them as a child.

To replicate, is to swerve, left, right the wheel. So the movement shifts it but in one place.

1. Dash, glove box opened to remove filter, glove box removed while driving, sound still present. Wires all snug, no loose parts in view. placed hands as far to center no loose items. the sound may be above top glove box area. and super difficult to get up in there!

2. Pass door side never touched to take apart,, Seat belt pulled all out and held, the height moved and held.

3 opened hood and not a thing to be found loose by the fire wall.

Everything surrounding and is tight. this is a mystery to solve, and can be quite annoying. At one given time the sound went away. So possibly like a post in here with pellets in the AC, who knows maybe a loose nut, Mine is rattling, but its Clanking Lol.

time to tear off the window tint due to tightening laws in the City, and see where the clank may be?

Turning the Radio to the beat of the clank , will not help. cutting unwanted things is plane foolishness. trouble shooting from end to end is going to be Fun

Like to hear your suggestions, there are 5.4 million Toyota cars out there maybe one sole person had this issue!

I grew up in Reno man ... Hot August Nights? Helped my friend wrench on a '67 Mercury Cougar. If you are into classics you oughta take a vacation there and check it out.

Swerve left and right making a clank? How many miles are on the car? Check your inner tie-rods for slop.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
45K around. 2010.

this is not a tie rod or mechanical, more like a simple pen falling into the dash somewhere.

One tire looked worn, the alignment looks some what off, and that will lead to an inspection of the rods just to see if anything is loose, a missing cotter pin.

I hear ya My best friend built from the junk yard a 71 mach (mustang) we talk about it time to time, the funny part was at a gas station a few years back one was sitting waiting for some one to buy. Station out of business car , just sitting, I bet it is still sitting. Maybe this weekend I'll see if any shows are around.

Have I ever been in a cougar I think I was in one yep many many years ago, in the early 80's

fishycomics

Super Moderator
One of the clanks may be solved, I placed a clamp on a bar, in the trunk so knowing it does not stay solid- wait it is a clamp they are to stay solid, and sure enough that is one resolved problem. Now on the one that I have no clue, maybe it was the same one as well, guess pivots forward makes one, and shifts makes another. will see.

Has the sound started when I placed it in there? Not sure takes time but when did I put that clamp on, I say winter time so yeah it matches up. that is a go-fish!

Man I feel like I won the Lotto

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If the car goes on a bend , called a cork screw or hard lean, you hear it.

Replicating I as simple as shifting weight. so here is the actual video. you can decide , and offer some advice.

I think I am going to the car, and Shake the hell out of it if I can hear it.

I will have to cram my arm to the up most of the dash to feel for looseness L

here is what I found loose, so I temporary stopped it from moving. lets see if this is fixed.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well driven , the car and the sound is still present, but not harsh, so possibly I got part of it, will dig deeper later follow the harness and see if it is snapping as I flex.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
going to be fun. If I leave off the glove. and a few pieces. And just lay down, and have someone drive. will figure this out as it is to the beat of the drum

fishycomics

Super Moderator
That was what I found loose, but not the culprit. There is a motor or some type of cylinder up there but am sure it is not the thing loose.

The funny thing is te Air blower takes most the room up under there. I hang there thinking????

the crash bar may be part of it transferring sound, and I guess I have to put some cushion on it Lol

Unsure when this came about. and hope it has not a thing to do with the cabin filter lol or the gps mount I made Lol.

Sometimes a hard knock will get rid of it nope I shook the crap out of the car where you would not dare to take yours. off the road.

maybe 2morrow I go to this area. strap a rope and let the car go in a circle while I figure out the problem. HELL NO just kidding