Oil Change - how often?

I've looked at the invoice received from the dealership where I came for a 15k oil change last week, and it says "No oil change at this interval (synthetic)". I had a 2004 Corolla before and oil change was required every 5k miles. Just out of curiosity, I found the previous invoices, and it says the same for 5k, but there was an oil change for10k service.

Is it how it's being done now? Not every 5k miles?

As stated in the manual, if using synthetic 0W20, oil change interval is 10k miles. If 5w20 is used, the interval is shortened to 5k miles. You, of course, can change the synthetic 0W20 at 5k intervals, but it will only be free at 10k and 20k miles.

I've looked at the invoice received from the dealership where I came for a 15k oil change last week, and it says "No oil change at this interval (synthetic)". I had a 2004 Corolla before and oil change was required every 5k miles. Just out of curiosity, I found the previous invoices, and it says the same for 5k, but there was an oil change for10k service.

Is it how it's being done now? Not every 5k miles?
The new ones that use synthetic oil needs changes every 10k. I have not yet had an oil change since i had my car and I'm sitting at 10,731 which means I'm ready for one. Checking the dipstick im still in the safe

I see. So once my "free" period is over, do I need to come for the service (whatever it would include) every 5k miles, or just every 10k miles would be enough?

I see. So once my "free" period is over, do I need to come for the service (whatever it would include) every 5k miles, or just every 10k miles would be enough?
Well, that's probably debatable. Toyota's OW20 synthetic is a very good oil, and 10k is probably sufficient unless you are doing a lot of "severe" driving - short trips, all stop and go, dusty or dirt roads, extreme temperatures. But I would add that many people aren't confident running ANY oil (and oil filter) for 10k miles. I'm going to do my first one at 5k and then I will probably go to 10k intervals after that, or I may split the difference and go 7.5k intervals.

with a 10k interval though, be sure to check your oil level on a regular basis, just to insure you aren't consuming enough oil to put you below the "add" line on the stick. 1 quart consumption of a very thin oil per 10k miles is not an extreme consumption rate, particularly as the car ages.

Also, once your free maintenance period is over, your warranty is still in effect (for another 16k miles on the car and another 40k miles on the powertrain). So you MIGHT want to stick to the 5k intervals for service (they don't do much but the tire rotation, oil change at 10k intervals, check your floormats:rolleyes:, and "inspect" various things. These services will add up to some money (for the "inspections"), so its up to you if you think its worth it. They could hassle you on a warranty claim if its something that could have been prevented by these "inspections". Personally, I'm not running to the dealer every 5k miles. I don't think its worth it time or money-wise. Also, there are mileage and/or time intervals for things like break fluid, coolant, spark plugs, etc. But Toyota does a very poor job spelling out what these should be, trying to get you to go back to the dealer for regular "inspections".

HanSolo

Actually Royal Purple is not that great. Tests in the past have shown that it cannot compete against oils like Amsoil, Redline, and others. In fact they used to openly state that only their race oils are fully synthetic, but are not recommended for street use due to lack of detergents. Their street oils in the past were not fully synthetic.

DTG

I go for 5000 mile oil changes, synthetic 0-20 notwithstanding. 10k just seems too risky to me, especially if the car's used frequently for around-town driving. My dealer seems to have informally agreed to that....one of the multiple add-ons they tried dumping on me at signing (and the only one I bought) was 5k oil changes/tire rotations for 60k miles for $300. Much better deal in my opinion that the Simonize offer :).

Your assessment is correct as the 10k interval may not be appropriate for people who make mostly short trips around town, or operate under severe service conditions. With short trips, it may build up moisture with can combine with contaminants to form acidic by products that can use up the buffer. It can also cause fuel dilution which directly affects the viscosity.

Thanks... I traded a double cab Tundra in for the Corolla... I hope my floor jack will even fit under the Corolla... I am not used to the low clearance... the car is back at home as of today... but I will still have to jack it up for viewing. Plus I am getting a special wrench off the snap-on truck to remove canister (had to order it)

Extended oil change intervals are nothing new. European cars have had them for a long time. I even had a Land Rover that had 12k intervals. Most Fords and GM will go well over 10k miles based in the oil monitor. What really matters is a good full synthetic like Mobil 1 extended performance along with a filter with enough filtering capacity that does not cause significant pressure drops.

Sorry to bump an old thread but to me it is still relevant. I bought my 2014 S premium used with 81k on it. My dealership gave me 2 years free oil changes and they gave me the 5k mile interval. However, had I bought their 3 yr extended dealer warranty I would have been forced into a 3k mile interval.

It was interesting to me that if they're responsible for the repair it's 3k, but if I am it's 5k.

It was interesting to me that if they're responsible for the repair it's 3k, but if I am it's 5k.
More of a way to make even more money from the "warranty" (insurance, really...) buyer ! In Canada, though, maybe because of winter, the recommended interval in the manual is 5K.

My Corolla tells me when it's time.
Every 5k.
I'm gonna assume that is a US thing?
Cause it sounds like not everyone is experiencing the same thing here.

My Corolla tells me when it's time.
Every 5k.
I'm gonna assume that is a US thing?
Cause it sounds like not everyone is experiencing the same thing here.
They want you to come in for tire rotation and check up every 5k and than oil change every 10k all included in 2 year free service plan when you buy car. If you want to skip the 5k service just turn the mesg off. its in the manual. I personally get my cars checked every 5K as we take a lot of trips and I want to be sure car is in good shape. I also trust the advice and knowledge of the engineers that designed the car more that the advice of amateurs.