Oil Change

I just got a 2012 Toyota Corolla, and I need to change the oil. I was hoping to do this myself and not go to a shop. What kind of filter do I need and is there a specific type of oil I need to use?

Any 5-20 oil or 0-20(synthetic). Call the dealer for oil filter part number and shop around for filter. Toyota or wix filter is good. Wix you can get a NAPA store

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Cap and book tells you OW-20 keep to that. not knowing if you got paper or metal filter and a crush washer. if you see a blue filter its metal if you see a black plastic canister its paper post back if you need help somebody will chime in

Owners manual tells you what you need. Very easy to do, I change my 2013 all the time. 0w -20 is what you need (should be the same as the 2013 but check cap and manual) One thing I will say is to invest in a oil filter wrench and before you start to try to twist it off, be sure to remove the metal clip that is there to prevent it from coming loose. Very easy to do just pry it off with a flat head screwdriver.

I have been using Mobil 1, not sure if it is advance fuel economy or not, and to be honest I have used Fram (yes, I know I will likely get flack) synthetic oil filter. I think it is the mid grade one. you got a pick of the reg, mid grade and top of the line Fram. I once bought the Mobil 1 filter because it was on sale. I have switched to Mobil 1 only 3 oil changes ago. Prior to the switch I used several high end brands of oil and I have had no issues, always change it at 8000kms intervals. I have used Mobil 1 many years ago in another country and car and I do like the brand, the reason I switch back was only because I have a Walmart discount and I price match the oil when it is on sale. Typically it is nearly CAD$60 and when it goes on sale it drops to mid $30's and then I get the discount. Mobil 1 typically was always $15 to $20 more than the other high end brands but I have noticed (at least here in Canada) the they all seem to be withing $5 of each other now.

I have been using Mobil 1, not sure if it is advance fuel economy or not, and to be honest I have used Fram (yes, I know I will likely get flack) synthetic oil filter. I think it is the mid grade one. you got a pick of the reg, mid grade and top of the line Fram. I once bought the Mobil 1 filter because it was on sale. I have switched to Mobil 1 only 3 oil changes ago. Prior to the switch I used several high end brands of oil and I have had no issues, always change it at 8000kms intervals. I have used Mobil 1 many years ago in another country and car and I do like the brand, the reason I switch back was only because I have a Walmart discount and I price match the oil when it is on sale. Typically it is nearly CAD$60 and when it goes on sale it drops to mid $30's and then I get the discount. Mobil 1 typically was always $15 to $20 more than the other high end brands but I have noticed (at least here in Canada) the they all seem to be withing $5 of each other now.
What a bummer! I buy Mobil 1 in the 5 quart jug for $22.88 at Walmart and no sales tax in Oregon!