Oil Dozzy

So I recently changed the oil on my 2011 corolla but before I got it changed the guy at the counter was telling me how all new corolla use synthetic oil.I didnt pay him any attention since he just felt like he was trying to up-sell me and plus it would have cost me almost a $100 with the filter. So I got the regular oil 5w -20 but left with a doubt since after they changed my oil they made me sign some paperwork that my oil change didnt come with a warranty, which didn't bother me since it was lube shop not Toyota. So my question is have I done damage to my engine and can I change back to synthetic without issues?

2011 TOYOTA COROLLA 30K MILES AUTO

yes you can change back to synthetic. owners manual is a good read and the oil cap itself should say what weight oil to use. $100 seems to be a bit steep so, as mentioned find another shop, dlr or diy

Hi Joe and welcome aboard! :)

Yes you're Toyota Corolla was factory filled with synthetic 0W-20 motor oil. Using petroleum oil, fuel economy will be reduced, emissions increased, cold winter engine starts will be harder and there could be increased engine wear, engine operating temperatures will increase, hot engine protection will be reduced, sludge and varnish may accumulate inside the engine and maintenance costs will also increase.

They had you sign a waiver for the warranty because your Toyota engine requires a 0W-20 synthetic motor oil of the correct API motor oil grade in order for Toyota to cover any internal engine warranty claims and the quick lube didn't want to be held liable for voiding your Corolla's engine warranty. If the incorrect oil is installed in the engine, (as it was in this case), and something inside the engine fails due to the incorrect oil being used, Toyota will not warranty the engine. That can put a dent in your wallet to the tune of thousands of dollars for a replacement engine.

I'm an independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants Dealer and the below link will open to my online Product Application Guide which will provide you the correct viscosity oil to use in your engine, all fluid quantities, filter part numbers, etc. This is absolutely free to use.

Online Product Application Guide

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?i=1&zo=349698

Yes you can change back to the better performing synthetic oil with no problems. You'd be very wise to do so.

$100 for a synthetic oil change seems very steep. An AMSOIL synthetic motor oil change costs far less money than that and my customers pay about $42 or so for their Corolla's to move up to AMSOIL quality and that includes a Wix quality oil filter, along with sales tax delivered right to your door. I think I can save you a whole bunch of money. :) Send me a private message. Below is a 5 minute video on the basics of synthetic oil and what makes a synthetic oil so different and superior to petroleum oils. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all i have 2010 Toyota corolla automatic car I have changed mobile 1 0w40 engine oil recently after how many kilometers i have to replace the engine oil please suggest to me Thank you