Oil Filter Fear

Hello everyone, hope all is well with everyone. I am planning on changing the oil this week on my corolla 08 le. this will be the first time i will be doing it. All the books and videos i have seen talk about how the filter gets screwed in. How would i know if i have screwed the filter tight enough? my worst fear is the filter unscrewing itself and falling off due to the normal day to day vibrations that the car goes through.
Also i dont want to tighten it so much that it might end up damaging the threads around the spot where it gets scewed in.
Just how tight is tight enough?!!

Thank you for your replies.

Many of the video's on YouTube are done by rank amateurs and although they mean well, they are woefully ignorant with the information they provide and in many cases if their advice is followed, you'll put your life at risk!

Before changing the oil, make sure the engine is warmed up so the oil will flow freely out of the engine. Remove the oil dipstick and also the oil fill cap before changing the oil. This will equalize the atmospheric pressures and allow the old oil to drain out much faster and more completely. The oil will be hot, so be very careful not to burn your hands.

It is also a good idea to get a new oil pan drain plug gasket to replace the old one so it doesn't leak. They are not expensive and usually cost less than $1.

Before installing the oil filter, coat the oil filter gasket with new oil. This provides some lubrication to the gasket so it doesn't distort and tear, which will lead to an oil leak. Pour some new oil into the oil filter, as this will help reduce the metal-to-metal rapid wear that occurs after an oil change and the resulting dry start.

When installing the new oil filter, all you need to do is make it hand tight. The instructions on the oil filter box will advise you of this. Over-tightening the oil filter can cause the gasket to distort and tear with a resulting oil leak.

Make sure when you remove the old oil filter that the gasket comes with it. It's not uncommon, (especially if the oil filter was over-tightened), for the old gasket to remain stuck to the oil filter mounting plate. Then when you install the new oil filter, it's double-gasketed and you'll have a big oil leak. No fun.

When draining the oil, make sure you allow enough time for all the old oil to drain out. This takes at least an hour, sometimes more. If you're going to do something, might as well do it right.

Also invest in a $5 box of neoprene rubber gloves to protect your hands/skin from the used oil. Used oil has a plethora of carcinogens, (cancer causing), chemicals in it, particularly petroleum oils that are contaminated right out of the bottle with napthenes, benyzenes, countless compounds of sulfur, waxes, asphalts., etc. When you pour these contaminants into the engine right out of a new bottle of petroleum oil, they combine with blowby gases to create other very nasty and corrosive acids that eat away at all the bearing surfaces, etc., of your engine. Not so hot. High quality synthetic oils are devoid of the contaminants that are naturally present in petroleum oils. Top flight synthetic oils like AMSOIL far outperform petroleum oils. See my website below for more information.

When doing the oil change, don't make the mistake of only using a jack to support the weight of the vehicle. Jacks are not designed to do this and the seals can blow, with the result being the car collapsing on top of you, which can shall we say, really ruin your day. Invest in a good set of jack stands and position them properly. Also chock the rear tires, (the front and back side of the tire), so the car will not roll and then also collapse on top of you.

Get a $5 pair of safety goggles from your local auto parts store before you crawl under your car to do the oil change. Dirt, rust and debris is always disturbed when you are under a car and when that falls into your eyes, it can seriously damage your vision. Your vision is very important of course and this is nothing to play around with. Get safely goggles and always wear them when under a car. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

With the old oil, you can dispose of it for free at any auto parts store or quick lube. Don't just go dumping it down a storm drain or on the ground somewhere, as this causes massive pollution of water. One gallon of used motor oil is enough to contaminate one million gallons of drinking water to the point it would be unsafe to drink.

I hope this helps you out. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Well I read it. Great post Scott on proper oil change procedure. The safety goggles is really a must as I can't tell you how many times working under my Rover or Corolla, crud gets in my eyes! It's the worst.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Well I read it. Great post Scott on proper oil change procedure. The safety goggles is really a must as I can't tell you how many times working under my Rover or Corolla, crud gets in my eyes! It's the worst.
Yes, it's no fun getting dirt/rust in your eyes. It can lead to serious eye damage.

I'll never forget, when I was a kid and did my first oil change, I did everything by the book and then when I was done I checked the oil dipstick to find there was no oil on the dipstick! I scratched my head and looked under the car...doh! I had forgotten to re-install the oil pan drain plug and all the brand new oil I had just poured into the engine had drained out and mixed with the old oil! lol :rolleyes: I never made that mistake again! :laughing:

When doing anything, it's always a good idea to keep the brain in gear! :thumbsup: :yes:

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
sorry , didnt do it yet. gonna do it on the 4th of july. thank you again.
My pleasure.

Your 2008 Toyota Corolla has a recommended oil viscosity of 5W-30 and the oil capacity is 4.4 quarts with the oil filter. The oil pan drain plug is recommended to be tightened to 27 ft/lbs of torque, so you don't have to tighten it until your face turns blue. Over-tightening oil filters, bolts etc., can cause damage.

If you're interested, I can get you a high quality Mann oil filter for only $3.70 and industry leading AMSOIL synthetic motor oil for only $4.44 per quart, which are wholesale/Dealer cost prices for you.

Below is my websites Product Application Guide for your 2008 Toyota Corolla -

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?i=1&zo=349698

group

Thank you so much Scott O'Kashan for your guidance. Thank heaven everything went by great. I did have a tough time trying to remove the drain plug in the beginning cause i was was too careful not to put too much pressure while trying to unscrew it. Also i was working without any jack stand. The car was just flat and leveled on my driveway.Had a tough time unscrewing the drain plug.
I let the drain plug just drop into the pan that I was using to collect the old oil. The washer might be still in that old oil or i didn't have a washer to begin with. Checked to make sure the washer wasn't still stuck to the oil pan.also made sure the gasket from the old filter wasn't left behind in its old spot stuck. drained for over an hour. tightened the drain plug with a wrench till i got resistance and then went about a 1/4 turn more. tightened the filter with hand till i got resistance then went another 3/4 turn more.
Used a huge sheet of paper under the car to catch any leaks while the car is running.Thank heaven, None!; even after the engine ran for a while.
gonna put the old oil in empty 2 liter soda bottles or water bottles and drop em off at Valvoline.
Used mobil high mileage conv 5 qt for $15.00, wix filter for $4.35, and a dollar washer.

Thank you again.

I got 2 more questions if i dont mind.
1) Where can i buy those washers for the drain plug? I want to stock pile on them.What number/model/size specification are they?

2) Do big places like jiffy lube and valvoline recycle the oil people like me drop off at their locations? Is it how they keep the cost for an oil change low , like around $24?

Thank you again.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Any auto parts store will have the oil pan drain plug washers. They can look them up for you as to part number, etc.

Yes anyplace that does oil changes will be able to recycle the old oil for you.

So are you saying you did the oil change without even jacking the car up into the air? I don't see how that's possible, unless you're skinnier than Pee Wee Herman? :laughing::)

For your next oil change, contact me and I'll provide you with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils that can save you hundreds of dollars in reduced maintenance costs and improved fuel economy. Wholesale prices for all forum members.

Any auto parts store will have the oil pan drain plug washers. They can look them up for you as to part number, etc.

Yes anyplace that does oil changes will be able to recycle the old oil for you.

So are you saying you did the oil change without even jacking the car up into the air? I don't see how that's possible, unless you're skinnier than Pee Wee Herman? :laughing::)

For your next oil change, contact me and I'll provide you with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils that can save you hundreds of dollars in reduced maintenance costs and improved fuel economy. Wholesale prices for all forum members.

The old oil is sitting in my garage in a plastic bucket. is it safe that way? just until i put it in the soda bottles and take them to jiffy lube tommorow. Is that stuff highly flammable? I Is there any way you would recommend i store it over night in my garage?

Well, i am a skinny dude. I went in head first , on my chest towards the oil pan. Then with one had had the wrench on the plug and another had had a hammer for gently hitting the wrench. The drain plug started to lossen up after 10 hits i think.

Last edited:
Yes, oil is flammable and so are its vapors. It's also not exactly great for your health to breathe in either. Might be a good idea to transfer it to the soda bottle containers as soon as you can.

Doesn't your state recycle soda bottles with a deposit program?

You can get a jack and jack stands for about $50 - $75 and that will make the job a lot easier next time.

Yes, oil is flammable and so are its vapors. It's also not exactly great for your health to breathe in either. Might be a good idea to transfer it to the soda bottle containers as soon as you can.

Doesn't your state recycle soda bottles with a deposit program?

You can get a jack and jack stands for about $50 - $75 and that will make the job a lot easier next time.
No, i PA we got nothing like a deposit program. you just chug the bottle in regular trash. my town dont even have a recycling program ( i think thats what they call it.) any way thanks again for all the info and time.

As an alternative to jackstands I have a couple of boards nailed together, one a foot or so shorter than a the other. I pull forward carefully, onto the first and then the second board. The boards are comfortably wider than the front tires.

Not as good as jackstands or real ramps but it gives a couple of inches of clearance which makes things easier with simple jobs like oil changes.

I call them my "redneck ramps." :D

As an alternative to jackstands I have a couple of boards nailed together, one a foot or so shorter than a the other. I pull forward carefully, onto the first and then the second board. The boards are comfortably wider than the front tires.

Not as good as jackstands or real ramps but it gives a couple of inches of clearance which makes things easier with simple jobs like oil changes.

I call them my "redneck ramps." :D
Not a bad idea at all. I just bought ramps. For often as I am working on my cars they come in handy. Although since I lifted my Rover I don't need them to work under there anymore :)

No, i PA we got nothing like a deposit program. you just chug the bottle in regular trash. my town dont even have a recycling program ( i think thats what they call it.) any way thanks again for all the info and time.
You guys don't have a Wal-Mart near by? Wal-Mart takes used oil here in California.
You just go to the autocenter area and ask them.