Oil filter wrench?

Hey gang! Just bought my first Toyota. 2018 Corolla LE 1.8. So far so good! Really liking the car. Anyway, I like to do a lot of my own general maintenance. However, I've never changed the oil on a car that has a cartridge housing. I know there's a special wrench out there that is needed to do the job. I don't want to go out and just buy any ol thing. I don't mind spending the money for a good tool that I'm gonna use for a long time. What do you all suggest I get. Saw a couple of different brands on Amazon but they all have good and bad reviews. What do the dealerships use? Can I purchase through them or is there something I can get somewhere else that is as effective and won't damage the housing? Thanks for any help you may have.

Hey gang! Just bought my first Toyota. 2018 Corolla LE 1.8. So far so good! Really liking the car. Anyway, I like to do a lot of my own general maintenance. However, I've never changed the oil on a car that has a cartridge housing. I know there's a special wrench out there that is needed to do the job. I don't want to go out and just buy any ol thing. I don't mind spending the money for a good tool that I'm gonna use for a long time. What do you all suggest I get. Saw a couple of different brands on Amazon but they all have good and bad reviews. What do the dealerships use? Can I purchase through them or is there something I can get somewhere else that is as effective and won't damage the housing? Thanks for any help you may have.

cal dealership and ask if they sell tool is my recommendation...the last thing you want is a cheap off brand tool that strips or cracks or scratches the original housing...

I got cheap one on ebay, no complaints. However, your car is under warranty, chances are doing your own oil will void it. Getting my oil done at the dealer was not terribly expensive, $75 Cad if I remember correctly. Any of the quick lube places that don't void the warranty can be used and may be cheaper. My 2013 has been out of warranty for several years now and I do the oil myself and the cost is about $50.

Doing your own oil change will not void your warranty.
Unless your using the wrong oil, consistently.
It costs me $30 bucks to change my oil. That’s Mobil 1 and K&N filter.

mahewd

I also want to recommend you to try Motivx oil filter wrench. The first thing is that it is specially made for Toyota. Secondly, it is working well for me. And finally, it is sure that it is a durable one because of it's high-quality 6061 T5 aluminum.

Doing your own oil change will not void your warranty.
Unless your using the wrong oil, consistently.
It costs me $30 bucks to change my oil. That’s Mobil 1 and K&N filter.
It does not matter to me anymore as my warranty is way past over. However I did ask my Toyota dealer about changing my own oil when it was under warranty and I was told that if I bought the Toyota oil from them (maybe filter as well, can't remember) and kept the receipt then it would be fine as they can prove it was done. If you keep good records should be fine but it does open up the opportunity for the dealer to have an excuse to not honour the warranty, just a thought.

My '18 XSE has the spin on filter (90915-YZZF2) and the MotivX wrench will not work. There is not enough room between the filter and the oil pan.