P0353 - can't fix please help

I have the following problem with my 2006 Corolla (188k miles) -

After originally noticing a P0353 - Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction, I swapped ignition coils around and cleared code. After a short time same code came back. In fact, I marked all 4 ignition coils and tried them all ... same code comes back.

At some point in the past year, along with the ever-present P0353 code, several other things are happening sporadically.

- Tachometer will "flutter," while driving and while idling. The RPMs are not actually jumping wildly around, only the tachometer.
- Engine will occasionally idle very rough. Does not happen all the time, but can happen when cold or warmed up
- Engine will sputter and lose power, with heavy vibration and concerning lack of ability to accelerate

I'm not asserting these symptoms are related to common cause, but I tend to think they somehow are.

One workaround that I have used with consistent success is I pull over when this sputtering/vibration/lack of acceleration occurs; I then use my code reader to clear codes (always the PO353), and return to normal driving (probably a bad idea but that's why I'm posting here). The problems (and code) usually will not return. Or sometimes the code returns but no symptoms. Or sometimes the symptoms happen but then stop after a short time.

Recently however this has been less effective, many times with the problems coming right back. Worth noting is that sometimes I can drive all the way to work (about 45 miles) and the car drives fine the entire way.

Any comments or questions welcome - thanks

Last edited:
Since you swapped the coils around and it always comes back to P0353 and the problem is kind of "on again, off again", is seems like a wiring/grounding issue. Or a bad/fouled plug in that cylinder. See here for a little more info.

Items I would check:
  • Spark plug to see if you have a bad one
  • Wiring to that ignition coil
  • Others have talked about a bad PCM, but that is usually when throwing codes for all 4 ignition coils

I chased a similar problem in a 4.7L dodge truck. Was throwing a code for cyl2 misfire but the symptom mimicked a slipping tranny upon launch. Even took it to a tranny shop. I swapped coil packs from cyl 2-4 with no help. It ended up being a defective platimun tip spark plug cyl 2 with low miles. K.I.S.S. principle at its finest...

I have the following problem with my 2006 Corolla (188k miles) -

After originally noticing a P0353 - Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction, I swapped ignition coils around and cleared code. After a short time same code came back. In fact, I marked all 4 ignition coils and tried them all ... same code comes back.

At some point in the past year, along with the ever-present P0353 code, several other things are happening sporadically.

- Tachometer will "flutter," while driving and while idling. The RPMs are not actually jumping wildly around, only the tachometer.
- Engine will occasionally idle very rough. Does not happen all the time, but can happen when cold or warmed up
- Engine will sputter and lose power, with heavy vibration and concerning lack of ability to accelerate

I'm not asserting these symptoms are related to common cause, but I tend to think they somehow are.

One workaround that I have used with consistent success is I pull over when this sputtering/vibration/lack of acceleration occurs; I then use my code reader to clear codes (always the PO353), and return to normal driving (probably a bad idea but that's why I'm posting here). The problems (and code) usually will not return. Or sometimes the code returns but no symptoms. Or sometimes the symptoms happen but then stop after a short time.

Recently however this has been less effective, many times with the problems coming right back. Worth noting is that sometimes I can drive all the way to work (about 45 miles) and the car drives fine the entire way.

Any comments or questions welcome - thanks
I would check the wiring aorund the injector nuber 3 start front the nuber injector plug back onto wire harness peal the raping and check for wire rubing inselation onwire may be rubing with a anouder wire