poor acceleration from rest/stop

kolo

my corolla 2010 , 2ZR FE started exhibiting poor /slow acceleration from stop some weeks ago.The slow acceleration makes overtaking difficult. i have changed the fuel pump but it wasn't helpful. No MIL (obd) code on scanning. what are the other possible causes please.

Could be lots of things, no reason to go broke replacing everything until you can gain some insight.

What I have done in similar situations, is to try things that will affect the way it runs to compare that with what is going on. For example, by removing the air cleaner element to do a test, if the car runs better with the extra air you have provided, then it would seem that something is causing a fuel rich situation, opposite is true if it runs worse. Don’t forget to replace your air cleaner afterwards.

kolo

Could be lots of things, no reason to go broke replacing everything until you can gain some insight.

What I have done in similar situations, is to try things that will affect the way it runs to compare that with what is going on. For example, by removing the air cleaner element to do a test, if the car runs better with the extra air you have provided, then it would seem that something is causing a fuel rich situation, opposite is true if it runs worse. Don’t forget to replace your air cleaner afterwards.
Thanks, will try the air filter trick. Although STFT , LTFT and Total fuel trims are within normal ranges (<10%). Removing the exhaust wasn't helpful so i have ruled out blocked catalytic converter.

Air, fuel, spark, the 3 things an engine needs.

As someone said, check the air filter. Takes like 30 seconds to check, change it if you don't remember when you changed it last, they're cheap.

Spark, pull the spark plugs to see if they're gummed up or worn down. Possibly a bad ignition coil, very spendy so test them.

Fuel, check fuel pressure. There's a Schrader valve on the fuel rail which you hookup a gauge to.

Sometimes something as simple as disconnecting your battery for a couple of minutes, then reconnecting reboots the onboard computer, which then seems to relearn the correct performance parameters of your vehicle, and it runs much better and peppier after. I've noticed this a few times on my 2010, an '03, an '05, and my daughter's previous '98. It's almost as if it gets lazy once it gets used to your driving style. But one thing I've noticed after driving around for six months or more, is when I go on an extended trip somewhere involving a few hours of driving, throwing a bottle of quality fuel system cleaner in a full tank really improves the performance, including a small boost in improved fuel mileage.

Last edited:

kolo

thanks all.
UPDATE
Removing the air filter had neutral effect. Except for increased sound

For the fuel pressure, i dont have a pressure gauge and it seems corolla 2009 my model doesn't have the port for attaching the pressure gauge, i checked but couldn't find one. Although i ve replaced with 3 aftermarket fuel pumps and the result was the same

will try....resetting( removal of battery), fuel/ injector cleaners and replace spark plugs and coil next.

Any one with idea on how to use techstream to check the function of the accelerator pedal and fuel system?

Last edited: