Premium Fuel - Is It Worth It?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Using Premium gas in a vehicle that doesn't require it, wont help the engine. Save your money. :thumbsup:

Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline?

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ctane-gasoline

Unless it’s recommended by your owner’s manual, don’t spend the money on high octane gas. In most cases, there’s no benefit. Higher octane helps only if you have problems with your engine “knocking.”

Read Your Owner’s Manual

"Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars".

VIDEO - Will Your Corolla Benefit From Using Premium Fuel?

Short answer; no. Premium fuel has less Btu's in it and will actually reduce fuel economy for your Corolla. Unnecessary. Save your money.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Do not use just no name brand gases, even though they come in unmarked tankers that are from named brand companies. They are good but may cause you to change your Fuel filter, later down the road. It is always good to mix stations up, rather get the lower grade each time.

Higher octain one in a Blue moon will not hurt, will help clean your engine and parts in it, has a lot of cleaners that you pay for.

And when you go to that cheaper an lower Station remember who you are giving your $$$$ to, Stations that are major companies are a well trusted one.

Bad gas, is just one thing you must watch out for in these cheap stations.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
There are no extra cleaners in Premium fuel

Per the Federal Trade Commission - It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

I typically stick to Chevron for my gas. I don't think I have gotten a bad tank at all from them at the one I go to. Shell would be my secondary station if no Chevron was available. Good quality gas makes quite a difference to your internals over several years and 100k miles.

Just stick with a top-tier gasoline like Shell, Chevron or similar and stay with 87 octane. It actually has more energy in it than 89 or higher as those are needed if your engine pings or is boosted. I've always stayed away from no name gas. ARCO & Costco just improved their formulations and qualify as a top-tier gasoline too. :thumbsup:

Purchasing higher octane than what the car requires is just wasting money. The car is properly tuned to run on regular gas for a reason. The only thing higher octane does is prevent knock for higher compression engines or forced induced engines. This is not a very high compression engine at 10:1. My FR-S is 12.5:1 and requires premium for that very reason.

Save your money, and if anything, add some techron cleaner in there occasionally and you will have a very happy engine.