Proud New Owner in Tulsa

Today, I purchased a sweet little '06 Corolla S. I got a decent deal on it, it would seem the seller kept having people get really interested in the car, it's condition, all the options it had, and then they would see the three pedals in the floor and the distinct lack of a PRNDL in the console, and they would run the other way.

However, *I* was especially looking for a manual trans car. I wanted something I could get cheap, but finance, to establish a credit rating. (Apparently, living within your means for 6-7 years is NOT responsible...:rolleyes:) I would be replacing my wife's very nice, but aging, Saturn Ion. Like her Ion, whatever I replaced it with HAD to have a stickshift, due to repeated and expensive lessons learned about auto-tragic transmissions.

I have questions, and the best way to find answers is on a forum dedicated to that specific car. Question the first: What common, alarming, expensive things tend to happen to the Gen 9 Corolla? Every vehicle/engine has something: old Troopers and the horrible 4ZE1 engine, Taurus' transmission failures like clockwork, G10 engines and burned valves/oval cylinders, KLR650 Doohickeys... what do I need to check on the Corolla? We have stupidly hot summers sometimes in Oklahoma... will I be doing a yearly late-August head gasket replacement, or did Toyota learn something from the 3.0 v6? I note this engine has a timing chain, so I will not need to replace a timing belt every so often... but when should I look at replacing the chain?

Today, I purchased a sweet little '06 Corolla S. I got a decent deal on it, it would seem the seller kept having people get really interested in the car, it's condition, all the options it had, and then they would see the three pedals in the floor and the distinct lack of a PRNDL in the console, and they would run the other way.

However, *I* was especially looking for a manual trans car. I wanted something I could get cheap, but finance, to establish a credit rating. (Apparently, living within your means for 6-7 years is NOT responsible...:rolleyes:) I would be replacing my wife's very nice, but aging, Saturn Ion. Like her Ion, whatever I replaced it with HAD to have a stickshift, due to repeated and expensive lessons learned about auto-tragic transmissions.

I have questions, and the best way to find answers is on a forum dedicated to that specific car. Question the first: What common, alarming, expensive things tend to happen to the Gen 9 Corolla? Every vehicle/engine has something: old Troopers and the horrible 4ZE1 engine, Taurus' transmission failures like clockwork, G10 engines and burned valves/oval cylinders, KLR650 Doohickeys... what do I need to check on the Corolla? We have stupidly hot summers sometimes in Oklahoma... will I be doing a yearly late-August head gasket replacement, or did Toyota learn something from the 3.0 v6? I note this engine has a timing chain, so I will not need to replace a timing belt every so often... but when should I look at replacing the chain?
Fortunately that manual tranny is the best anti-theft device money can buy those idiots can't drive em so they usually just move on to the next one, on top of being fun to drive. I love to drive mine and I drive it every day.