Question About AC Controls/Defrost

toyt

Alright so this a dumb question but can someone explain to me the air controls?

Mainly my question is when I press the Auto button (and the small green light lights up), the fan goes all the way to the maximum setting and it blasts air at me. How can I customize the automatic setting to go to the temperature/power of air that I want?

Same thing with the Defrost, when I press it the fan goes to maximum air, when that's not what I want. Also, can I use the heater/defroster at the same time?

Sorry these questions are really basic but any help would be appreciated!

I stopped useing it on the corolla i had, all i can tell you is you can adjust the temp to around 75 in summer and maybe 70 in winter and it wont blast you so bad. Myself, i just used the manual controls. I now have a corolla l and the controls suit me just fine, besides that auto ac wont air out the evaporator the way it needs to be done in the summer.

Just use manual control. As soon as you press the fan or vent button to change it, auto disengage. On auto, it will blow full blast to get to the set temperature as quickly as possible (so it's better to set a "reasonable" temperature) but it doesn't stay at that speed forever. Personaly, I find the auto mode to work just fine.

Kev250R

This is my other car
The 'Auto' feature seems to work that way on most year Toyota's. My '99 4Runner did the same thing. Instead of 'auto' they should label it 'turbo' however if you wait long enough it will adjust the fan speed down as the temperature approaches what you have it set for. Personally I just use the manual controls.

Kevin

toyt

Alright well thanks for all the information guys! I understand the Auto feature now but I guess Ill just stick to manual air controls because full blast is a bit much.

Alright well thanks for all the information guys! I understand the Auto feature now but I guess Ill just stick to manual air controls because full blast is a bit much.
You can always stick with manual controls at first until around the set temperature than go back to auto. It will then quietly maintain temp (it doesn't go full blast that long in the first place).

I've never found auto climate control very satisfying on any car. I just use manual control, sounds like I'm not alone, lol. I do remember when they were going over the car with me when I bought it, the AC blew like ice water when it was engaged.

I dig the auto control. It all depends on:

1. Cabin temperature
2. Outside temperature
3. Temperature Setting

If it is 100° outside and my temperature is set to 67°, it will blast the air pretty much the entire time (it might jump down to speed 4 on a long road trip over time).

If it is only 76° outside, my temperature at 67°, then it will start at fan speed 4 or 5, then slowly drop down to 1 or 2 as the cabin cools down.

I keep mine at 67 at all times (unless my finacee is in the car, then I set it to 72).

Max defrost is just that, maximum ... so it will always blast the fan, but as others have said, you can use the air flow selector to manually put it to defrost or floor/defrost and go from there.