question about leds in the map light with sunroof controls

Has anyone installed leds in their map light and also have a sunroof? How does the plastic cover come off? I've seen a few threads with info about how to remove the map light plastic cover but those Corolla's were different since they didn't have a sunroof.

Shaun

The correct way is to use a panel removal tool to pull the entire assembly down, then remove the light assembly from the switch housing, then remove the lens.

However, there is a shortcut that I used that works if you are careful.

1. Get two small flathead screwdrivers and wrap the blades ONCE in electrical tape, anymore and the blade will be too thick.
2. If you look at the lens, about 1/4 inch in, you'll see six dark spots (one on each side and two for the front and two for the rear).
3. Start with the left side. Use one flathead, wedge it between the lens and the plastic trim, and pry it open just enough to get the second screwdriver in there and disengage that clip (you disengage it by sticking that screwdriver on the inside of the clip and pushing it toward the outside). Then work your way around.
4. Pull bulbs, insert LED bulbs.
5. Pop lens back into place.

Just be careful doing it that way. I marred a little bit of my trim but was able to use fine grit sandpaper to blend it in so it isn't noticeable, and if you pry too much, you'll probably break a clip.

The correct way is to use a panel removal tool to pull the entire assembly down, then remove the light assembly from the switch housing, then remove the lens.

However, there is a shortcut that I used that works if you are careful.

1. Get two small flathead screwdrivers and wrap the blades ONCE in electrical tape, anymore and the blade will be too thick.
2. If you look at the lens, about 1/4 inch in, you'll see six dark spots (one on each side and two for the front and two for the rear).
3. Start with the left side. Use one flathead, wedge it between the lens and the plastic trim, and pry it open just enough to get the second screwdriver in there and disengage that clip (you disengage it by sticking that screwdriver on the inside of the clip and pushing it toward the outside). Then work your way around.
4. Pull bulbs, insert LED bulbs.
5. Pop lens back into place.

Just be careful doing it that way. I marred a little bit of my trim but was able to use fine grit sandpaper to blend it in so it isn't noticeable, and if you pry too much, you'll probably break a clip.
Thanks! I'll give it a go this weekend!

Has anyone installed leds in their map light and also have a sunroof? How does the plastic cover come off? I've seen a few threads with info about how to remove the map light plastic cover but those Corolla's were different since they didn't have a sunroof.

Shaun
I have done it myself I'll post a YouTube video if you still need it

Thanks Erick! I really appreciate this!

I decided to use a credit card instead of a screwdriver to prevent dings on the map light trim. It worked really well and leds look so much better that halogen bulbs!
That works as well but glad I could help let me know how they look later I'm going to be doing plastic dip on the spoiler lip

Where did you get that nifty tool to take off the plastic clips that attach the trunk liner? Also how much was it?
door panel trim removal .....and it was around 7$ on AutoZone ....pretty sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere ..... Anything else I may help you on ??

For the license plate lights, you don't have to pop the assembly out. Just twist left with the housing in the car. That's what I did.

I finished all of my LED bulbs except for the mirrors and the high beams. For the mirrors I have to heat the assembly in an oven to get to the bulb. They sealed the unit to keep moisture out.