Question On Power/Torque vs 2005 S

gojoe

Hello all,
I am going to purchase a new 2014 S 6MT.
I test drove one, but it is hard to tell on a little test drive what the power is like.
The 2005 5sp that I have driven since new impressed me with it's torque output over the same year Civic.
I drive the WV turnpike a few times a year.
One thing I love about the 2005 is I can get up to speed, set the cruise on 75 and never shift ot of 5th except for stops.
Is the 2014 S 6MT going to have that kind of power?
Does anyone here ever run that stretch of road with a 6MT?

Thanks in advance

GJ

gojoe

Ok cool thank you.

I just wondered because looking at the specs it doesn't seem like that much more.
I was afraid maybe 6th was really overdriven to where it might be sluggish in 6th on hills.

GJ

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
The 6 speed in my Civic is just an overdrive. I have about the same torque as the Corolla and over 50 more HP and 6th is sluggish. I wouldn't use it under 50 mph. If you're happy with your old Corolla though, I'd imagine you'll be fine with this new one.

Oughta be downshifting on hills anyway so you aren't lugging the engine. Going to 5th on a hill will actually save a little fuel because you aren't at WOT trying to hold speed.

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear once put a brand new Corvette in 6th and went from a dead stop to over 150 mph, all without ever shifting!

gojoe

Oughta be downshifting on hills anyway so you aren't lugging the engine. Going to 5th on a hill will actually save a little fuel because you aren't at WOT trying to hold speed.
It never did, have to go wide open. That's what I liked so much about it.
It was seriously rather effortless.
Running at 75 it actually at times was kind of spooky on turns at how well they really didn't phase it.
If the ex hadn't got it in the dissolution I wouldn't be replacing it LOL

I never got under 38 mpg running from Wendell NC to Parkersburg WVa.
My best was 41.6 mpg.

GJ

It never did, have to go wide open. That's what I liked so much about it.
It was seriously rather effortless.
Running at 75 it actually at times was kind of spooky on turns at how well they really didn't phase it.
If the ex hadn't got it in the dissolution I wouldn't be replacing it LOL

I never got under 38 mpg running from Wendell NC to Parkersburg WVa.
My best was 41.6 mpg.

GJ
If I set my cruise control, I am pretty much fine in 6th. When I drive up to Reno from San Diego I do hit some sharp hills and will lose speed unless I drop down to 4th (these are the same hills that on my way home, I can go in neutral and travel at 90 m.p.h., to give you an idea of how steep they are...)

If I set my cruise control, I am pretty much fine in 6th. When I drive up to Reno from San Diego I do hit some sharp hills and will lose speed unless I drop down to 4th (these are the same hills that on my way home, I can go in neutral and travel at 90 m.p.h., to give you an idea of how steep they are...)
That sounds like a pretty decent grade.
I should be fine.
I plan on doing some real looking soon.

GJ

6th is a second overdrive. if you are cruising at anything less than 70 mph expect to downshift. We have put roughly 8300 miles or so on our S 6MT. The car has enough get up and go for what it is. Obviously it isn't a race car so don't expect a lot of punch.