Radio static

OK fellas, this is a complete new one to me. About 2 weeks ago my radio started becoming complete static on all channels, could not get a single channel to come in. Well after some investigating while sitting in my driveway I found that when the rear defroster is on, no channel will come in. If you immediately turn it off the channels come back. Strangest thing I have ever heard, but anyways talked to the dealer last night and of course I am out of warranty and they want a $100 just to look at it. They started trying to blame my tint immediately as well. The tint has been on the window since day 1 I have had the car. I have a 2014 corolla s with 42,000 miles. It is the standard radio without Nav. I could really use your guys help on this one. Thanks!!

Thomas

It's not too strange considering it's an electrical problem and the radio antenna is located on the rear glass where the rear defroster is also located. I'm not an expert, but if I had to guess, the wires to the two systems are chafing somewhere and have made a connection. I would inspect the wiring.

Mine started when I added tweeters in the C pillars. What you said makes sense. In my case the tweeter signal is probably interfering with reception.

It happened on my 2015 Corolla S when I first got my car and it only happened when I had my rear defroster on. I took it to the dealer and it was a known defect. They had to replace my entire back window.

Yes. The dealer had to call California headquarters. And that's when they found out it was a known issue. They paid for everything. It took a few days for it to cone in because it was OEM.