Rattling sound

Discussion in '2003 - 2008 Toyota Corolla' started by shawn86, Jul 10, 2017.

1. shawn86

shawn86 New Member

I have a '08 1.8 and when I start it up there is a metallic rattling sound that lasts for a few seconds. I have a little over 130k miles on it. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Corolla Forum Sign Up!

Join CorollaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota Corolla fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Corolla and Matrix Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Toyota, and have a great time with other Corolla fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Toyota you'll find that Corolla Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join CorollaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Potato213

Potato213 New Member

Is the a.c. or any air on when this happens or is there something lose in the engine bay?

4. OP
    shawn86

shawn86 New Member

No its right on starting and nothing is on I checked the engine bay and everything seems to be good.

5. Muhammad Ali Khan

Muhammad Ali Khan New Member

dont worry, drive it.

6. 3ddie @rana

3ddie @rana New Member

Hi

Do you have something in the glove compartment or inside car thats driving you Crazy maybe, and it's not in the engine it self ?!
    I would ck on that my self, it has happen before !

3ddie @.

7. Legend Cox

Legend Cox New Member

I had this issue a while ago, and it turned out a heat shield on the exhaust around the catalytic converter had come loose causing a rattle on start up. It started rattling really bad, and I found it wedged between the exhaust manifold, and the firewall.

8. OP
    shawn86

shawn86 New Member

Cool I'll check that out!

9. JustinGWilly

JustinGWilly New Member

Definitely sounds like a heat shield. Mine came loose a couple of years ago just behind the catalytic converter. The bolts holding it in place were rusted. I just took the whole thing off and haven't had any issues.