Rear View Mirror GPLS/Camera Help

I am looking to install a rear view mirror gps system with backup camera on my 2011 Corolla S. I have been searching for various different types and so far I have found the two links below which look to be suitable.

Has anyone tried anything like this, will the wireless camera work good or is it better to get a wired one? Sounds like the gps system includes maps for Canada & US. I am not sure if the camera will fit properly on this car or will it stick out. Need your thoughts and input. Many thanks.

http://www.cars-electronics.com/43-i...mes_p1203.html

http://www.plusbuyer.com/5-inch-car-...th-p-3271.html

kolin

I will suggest you if you really need to install the camera so do not go for wireless it creates many issues and wired camera will give the best results. its only my opinion you can do what you want.

Gordy

Yes, wired cam is the best way to go. I would like to provide my feedback: I purchased this from ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160951510868?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
The seller name is drive-aide.
I must say I am very happy with this product, it has a 4.3" screen and the camera has guide lines.
I removed one of the license plate lights and installed the camera there.
Did not have to drill holes into the car at all.
Here are some pics:

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Just to let you know, with states that have annual safety/emissions inspections, a vehicle will not pass inspection if any of the original equipment bulbs have been removed. A police officer can also ticket you for having a missing license plate bulb.

Gordy

Yes, that is a good point, but here in Canada we do not have such inspections and the one light produces plenty of light to see the plate.
If I were in a state which has inspections I would not mount it the same way.

Biffm17

2013 Corolla LE
Quick question, what size and type of bracket is the stock mirror, I have seen many people replace them from other makes, just wondering if you knew what it was or had a pic?

Betzy

Hi. I'm trying to know how to install a back up camera. But i really need to know how to weave/pass through the wires from the front cab to the back truck bed the best way without cutting holes etc. Does anyone have a good tip? Thanks Betzy

Attachments

Depends on where you are in Canada. Where I am in BC there are no inspections. I believe in Ontario there is an annual inspection. I like the install, I have a thread of the install I did but I have the stock screen that I could use. I personally don't like removing things, specially when it comes to safety or visibility on my vehicles but I also don't like drilling holes in the metal and like to keep it looking stock. In this case I would rather remove the bulb then make holes, and yes one plate light is enough to light the whole plate. Looks good.

Hi. I'm trying to know how to install a back up camera. But i really need to know how to weave/pass through the wires from the front cab to the back truck bed the best way without cutting holes etc. Does anyone have a good tip? Thanks Betzy
what year car you have? you can read my thread about my install, honestly it is not that hard, I just followed the wire loom that is already there.

Betzy

what year car you have? you can read my thread about my install, honestly it is not that hard, I just followed the wire loom that is already there.
Ok. Super.
y name is Betzy i m in Toronto, Canada.
Drive Toyota Corolla 2010. I don't have many tools and don't know much about explaining but will read your threads. Thank you