Recommend Brakes For My 99 Corolla

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting new front brakes for my car. Which brake pads do you guys recommend? I was thinking about getting these:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-ACT741-ProACT-Ultra-Premium-Ceramic/dp/B000C1MW76/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=Corolla%7C1013&Year=1999%7C1999&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
Personally I prefer OEM pads however my Corolla came to me with warped rotors and since I needed to get the brakes done ASAP (no time to visit a dealer parts dept or order them on-line) I used O'Reilly ceramic pads and their house-brand rotors. I haven't put a lot of miles on them (close to 4K) and a lot of that is highway driving but they feel good, stop well and are guaranteed forever (even the pads).

Kevin

Thanks guys. I had my brakes checked out and was told I don't need front brakes as I have 50% life left on the pads. I should be good for another 15K.
Thanks,
Shawn

Do you guys know how to adjust the rear drum brakes on the 99 corolla? I understand when you apply the handbrake/parking brake it automatically adjusts. I also noticed behind the wheel there is a rubber housing I can remove and adjust with screw driver by turning the star wheel. Do I need to do this or does the self adjusting mechanism does it automatically?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the Backs careful if you adjust, park brake is one pad, car brake is the other, the Drum should spin freely. If the rear was not done, I not adjust them. that is me. I inspect my own brake and determine the life wear, if some one inspected them they show you the life left. on them.

If I needed brakes I get them at the Parts department of Toyota, Mon-Saturday, if I needed them and can wait I get them off Ebay at the Estore for a hell lot less today.

I jacked the car up and when I apply the brakes I can move the rear wheel. Not much and there is resistant but since my foot is on the brake I shouldn't be able to move the rear wheel at all they should lock. Correct?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
He must have had a long foot to do that Don. Lol

If he puts a pole, to apply some pressure , you can apply the brake. And then see if there is the right amount of spin..

The Drums has a two brake system. One for the E- Brake, the other for your stopping. Never apply the brake when the drums are off.

When you do adjust your brakes, make sure that the brake applied is the right one, and not the wrong one.

good luck in correct/adjusting your brakes.

Please allow me to clarify. I got the spare tire (donut) out of the trunk and used it to depress the brake pedal (genius I know) lol. I then jacked the car up on the rear driver side. Turned on the car and then tried to spin the rear wheel with my hands. When I did this there was some resistance but I was able to move the rear wheels slightly with just a forceful hand. I did the same for rear passenger side with same results.
Here is my question. If the brake pedal was depressed then why was I able to slightly move the rears wheels? Should the rear brakes hold the wheels completely stationary?

PS: Oh, one other thing. I don't possess super natural strength nor do I have long legs and arms or the elasticity that of Mr. Stretch Armstrong :D

Last edited:
With the e-brake engaged I am unable to spin the wheels. Anyone here with sucessful attempt in changing drum brakes? I am wondering if I can tackle this job on my own or perhaps with the help of members on this forum.

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
Personally I think disc brakes are easier to change but drums aren't too bad. The first thing I would do is pull the drums off and take a look at the shoes (pads) and see if they even need to be changed.

Next check to see if their glazed, which *could* cause the problem you seem to be having with the rear brakes not holding.

Then check the wheel cylinder (twelve O' Clock position, the tops of the two brake shoes live on either side of it) make sure there is no moisture around it then look at the inside of the drum and make sure the there is no gouging in the area where the shoes ride.

I like to spray everything down with brake parts cleaner while I have everything open. Take a look at all of the that and determine if you'll even need to do a brake job on the rears.

Kevin

If you were unable to spin the wheels with the e-brake active, you should be fine (chances are, the spare tire didn't have enough pressure on the brake pedal to fully hold the wheels).

Thanks guys. I had my brakes inspected. They adjusted the rear drum brakes and they feel great! Total cost $19.95 :) They did recommend I change the drums when I change the shoes as they are a hairline from being out of spec.

Last edited: