Recommended preventive maintenance for rear brakes (disc)?

Being the new owner of a 2014 Corolla S, I wonder what is recommended in terms of preventive maintenance for the rear brakes with discs? Just asking because I had a 2013 Kia Rio and they recommended to remove pads and calipers twice a year to clean them and lubricate the sliding pins, if necessary. Even thought, I was doing the recommended procedure, I still had trouble with those brakes. In the end, this Kia ended up causing so much trouble that I decided to buy the Corolla. I had to replace rear discs and pads twice in the last two years. Also, the paint was flaking off in many places.

The lack of lubrication on the slide pins causes premature wear of the pads and potentially can also damage the rotors. Toyota has had a sticking pin problem on the Prius, due to lack of lubrication. Twice a year on that Kia is just crazy. I inspect and/or lube my front pins every 30K miles. I have rear drum brakes so no impact there. If you live in a salt belt state you may want to inspect them more frequently due to corrosion. Toyota recommends the use of rubber grease p/n 08887-01206 for the slide pins. It's like $8 from the dealer.

Ok how do I maintain the rear drums on my '16 Corolla?
Loosen lug nuts, jack rear of car, remove lug nuts, remove wheel, then what? Remove the drum and check something?
Never had drum brakes before. Disc's are easy peasy

Just brake clean everything inside. Then to adjust there is a plug on the back that reveals the adjuster. You will need a brake spoon or a screw driver to move it. While adjusting, spin the drum until it has decent drag but not stuck.

Just brake clean everything inside. Then to adjust there is a plug on the back that reveals the adjuster. You will need a brake spoon or a screw driver to move it. While adjusting, spin the drum until it has decent drag but not stuck.
Thanks. Sounds easy. I'll attempt this whenever it isn't scorching hot here.