Regarding Mild Burn Smell

Hi Guys,

I have a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE. It is 1 year old now.

In the last 2 days I got a burn smell in the car every time I stop it and then get out of it. Both inside and outside. 2 times it happened immediately after I stopped the car and I thought it is because of the AC or Heater. So I tried not using the heater but still it happened ones. Again next time I did not see any smell inside car but when I came near rear wheels I got same burn smell.

I recently changed from premium to plug grade fuel.

Any idea what could be causing this burn smell.

Usually what kinda charge will be there if i take the car to toyota service center.

Please advice.

Thanks.

You are under warranty no charge.Why would you run premium fuel in a car that calls for regular fuel. And what is plug grade fuel ??

Sorry typo. It is plus grade. Ya I realized that regular is good enuf a lil late, got some input from friends that since it's new for 1 year can use premium n may be good for engine.

Also any idea about what could be causing the burn smell?.

Sorry typo. It is plus grade. Ya I realized that regular is good enuf a lil late, got some input from friends that since it's new for 1 year can use premium n may be good for engine.

Also any idea about what could be causing the burn smell?.
Sorry but no idea. I still think you should take it to the dealer while you are under warranty.

Yes I took it to the service center today. They saw it and said there is no issue at all. And I can drive as is and if it happens again and if there is any smoke you can bring it.

I mentioned about changing fuel grade and they said I can use regular/ plus but may be suddenly changing from premium to regular may have caused the engine to react differently because I lowered the grade. If I have gone for higher grade then no issues it seems but since I switched to a lower grade it may have caused some reaction in engine. Wat do u guys think, any one faced such scenario when u switched from premium to plus or regular.

Now wat is advisable when I fuel next time, shd I go back to premium or continue with plus n let the engine adapt to it?

may be suddenly changing from premium to regular may have caused the engine to react differently because I lowered the grade
Sudden or not, indeed the engine react : modern engines are electronically controlled to adapt in real time to octane rate. It won't cause a burn smell. Brakes, oil or coolant leak, electrical problems might, or even some debris stuck in engine bay. Did they check all this ? Retrieve codes from the OBD ? Anyway, without going in the eternal debate about premium gas being "better" (almost a religion war...;)) simply remember that your engine is conceived, designed and equipped to work on regular 87.

No they just opened the bonnet n saw n said they don't see anything wrong and say don't see any indicator in dashboard. Said if it happens again and if there is any smoke I can bring again.

I guess I will try to clean the bonnat area a lil and then use it as usual, if it happens again then ll have to take it again. The thing is 2 times the smell was strong after that it was very light and today when I went smell, was mild so I think I ll jus have to wait n see.

Hi, the only time I have gotten a burning smell from my corolla has been when I have braked too hard causing the brakes to overheat and occasionally smoke. I've only had them heat up to that point when I'm at high speeds and brake very hard, or have been driving a long distance with lots of hills, braking, and speed. Reason being; brakes = friction = heat + excess speed and/or hot weather = smell/smoke. Could be the cause of your problem, if your unsure next time get close to the wheel wells and take a sniff.

Hi Guys,

I have a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE. It is 1 year old now.

In the last 2 days I got a burn smell in the car every time I stop it and then get out of it. Both inside and outside. 2 times it happened immediately after I stopped the car and I thought it is because of the AC or Heater. So I tried not using the heater but still it happened ones. Again next time I did not see any smell inside car but when I came near rear wheels I got same burn smell.

I recently changed from premium to plug grade fuel.

Any idea what could be causing this burn smell.

Usually what kinda charge will be there if i take the car to toyota service center.

Please advice.

Thanks.

my 2014 corolla s with CVT transmission has the same smell yo, like when i take a long trip and i get out i get a wiff of a rubbery oily burning smell, chances are it is some oil residue that dripped onto your engine block and it heats up and smells. the guys at my dealerships are dipshits so when they do the oil change i notice that they have a little overspill onto the block which gets upwards of 400+ degrees so it bakes the oil onto it which also causes a smell....dont worry about it if your cars running fine.

Well i took a sniff today as lied-my-age said and yes near each of the 2 rear wheels i got the same smell in a mild way today morning. i just drove 2 miles. In the evening same place the smell was little strong.