Replacing rear brake shoes on 2002 Corolla Verso!

Gew

Hi guys!

My first post here.

If you think it's too much to read you can just read the two lines that I have put in bold style, which pretty much sums it all up.

Also, I'm not sure if I even qualify to be here, since I own a version of the Corolla with the suffix "Verso". I mean, it is a Corolla, sharing most parts, only that the chassis is built somewhat different. It's higher, mainly. I've tried putting a photo on the actual car as an avatar here, not sure if it'll show. I think the Corolla Verso was only produced for the West-European market, so if this is mainly an American forum you may not even know what the heck this is. It's based on the 9:th generation (E120), but has it's own code, E121.

Anyways, to my current issue. My emergency brake is not working good ... at all! :(

I though I'd take care of it myself instead of turning the car into a garage, saving a few quid. I have actually done this job once before, but that was on a car with only drum brakes in the rear. You know, with a wheel cylinder pushing the shoes outwards when pressing the brake pedal in the cabin. This high-tech piece of machinery is equipped with calipers all around. Actually, it's the first car I own with calipers on all four wheels, feels kind of fancy! :)

Well, I ordered a cheap kit "SHU723" from eBay, including what was told to be the required springs. No instruction manual was included in the box though, and of course I haven't got myself started with the project, not just yet. Now I'm sitting here at the table looking on the pieces. I was confused at first, because most Corolla blueprints I could find shows the use of "shoe hold-down" objects (spring, two cups, and a pin) which was not included in my package.

Today I visited local Toyota dealership, and they were keen and printed me a simple sketch over the thing, and I was also told that the use of hold-down-pin/spring/cups had been replaced by a simple pin (part # 47447E) and a spring clip (part # 47447D) which serves the same purpose. Seems that I have all the needed parts for the job, after all.

Now, only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the alignment of the springs. I mean, if they are supposed to be one way or another. Therefor I've put one shoe on the table, see photo below, and I thought that perhaps some experienced Toyota mech is hanging around this forum, would see this, and could just verify that I'm on the right path.

brakeshoethingie.jpg

Also, anyone with experience in this procedure who has any helpful advice that could come in handy, feel free to share them! :) I remember from when I did it on that other car that it was a painful procedure getting the springs in place. I bought myself a special pair of pliers for the task, but even with them it was a real headache. I have a feeling that this will be just about as painful, or even worse.

Other than that, wish me luck! :p