Reprogramming ECU

My friend told me that I should reprogram my ECU in my Tacoma to gain more horsepower because I use 93 octane. Been using 93 since I bought the truck new. Was wondering if this applies to the 2015 corolla also? I plan on using 93 octane in it also.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Does the owners manual for your truck recommend 93 octane?

Using 93 octane in a vehicle that doesn't require it is a waste of money and provides no benefits.

I do not recommend messing around with the vehicles expensive ECU.

There's a lot to be said for, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline?

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ctane-gasoline

Unless it’s recommended by your owner’s manual, don’t spend the money on high octane gas. In most cases, there’s no benefit. Higher octane helps only if you have problems with your engine “knocking.”

Read Your Owner’s Manual

"Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars".

Last edited:

IFMJohn

You can get a programmer that will change the timing in the engine to burn a higher octane fuel at a more effective rate. Essentially this means more power. You will lose fuel economy.

Unless you change the ignition timing (through the use of an external tuner or reprogramming your ECM) putting in a higher octane that required will not do anything except make your wallet lighter. That's what we call weight reduction ;)

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
VIDEO - Will Your Corolla Benefit From Using Premium Fuel?

VIDEO - Will Your Corolla Benefit From Using Premium Fuel?

Short answer; no. Premium fuel has less Btu's in it, (energy), and will actually reduce fuel economy for your Corolla. It's unnecessary. Save your money. You need your money more than the greedy oil companies do! :blink: No need to make them richer than they already are. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone told me the same thing lol. I like using 93 octane because it burns cleaner and I feel the car accelerate faster then 87. I've been using 93 when I started driving. I've tried 87 and hate it lol. Also love my baby too much to put cheap stuff in.

Looking to get dealer to reprogram the ECU. They said it takes about 1 hour to do.

IFMJohn

93 octane does not burn cleaner. That's a complete myth.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

IFMJohn

A dealer reprogram will not do much. An aftermarket tune will do a lot more.

Usually, OBD-II cars keep the timing as far advanced as possible during closed loop, relying on the knock sensor to tell the computer to back off if need be. Programming the ECU won't change much, and for the extra money you are paying, is it really worth the extra horsepower or two? You can do the same thing (and more) with bolt ons and keep 87 in it, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Everyone told me the same thing lol. I like using 93 octane because it burns cleaner and I feel the car accelerate faster then 87. I've been using 93 when I started driving. I've tried 87 and hate it lol. Also love my baby too much to put cheap stuff in.

Looking to get dealer to reprogram the ECU. They said it takes about 1 hour to do.
It doesn't burn any cleaner.

It wont make your car faster.

Don't become a pawn in the big oil industry's marketing schemes.

You're wasting money.

I don't mean to be blunt, but those are the facts, as presented.

If you love your baby, don't do something that wont help your baby.

Spend your money elsewhere on things that will help.