Roof Cargo Cage on naked roof?

I'm going to be moving across the country and I'm only taking a few things. I'd like to be able to install a roof Cargo cage for the move. Also, I do quite a bit of camping so it'll come in handy.
Hopefully something not too tall. Similar to what's on the picture I found online.
Are there any low profile roof racks anyone recommends that I can put a cage on? Also, do I absolutely need cross bars on top of the roof racks? I'm trying to stay within my confortable $400 limit if possible. $500 is my "absolute limit" budget.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I’ve never seen a roof rack system for our cars, but never really looked either.
I have a Thule car top carrier for our Highlander and it needs the crossbars to secure it.
Have you thought about a trailer hitch?
I know that sounds odd but there are guys on this forum who have done this for various reasons.

I meant to add that you can go to the Yakima (or Thule too I’m sure) website and configure it for your car, and it will give you all of your options and tell you what you need. I used jet stream bars (quietest but most expensive) and the set up for those. Round bars would be the cheapest (but loudest), so that could save quite a bit of money and keep things within your budget. Also check amazon, some components were a little cheaper from them.

My local outdoor store is also having a sale right now for roof rack gear because of the season. Check yours out too, they may be doing the same.

I've thought about it but I'm traveling from CA to SC. And the weight I feel would make the car bouncy. And probably destabilize the ride too.. that's why if possible, I'd rather have a top load between all 4 wheels.

I’ve never seen a roof rack system for our cars, but never really looked either.
I have a Thule car top carrier for our Highlander and it needs the crossbars to secure it.
Have you thought about a trailer hitch?
I know that sounds odd but there are guys on this forum who have done this for various reasons.

Thank you. I found some things that I'm thinking about getting. Generic universal fit. I'll post links to the roof rack and cargo cage.

I'll check out Amazon as well.

Just kidding. Guess I'm not allowed to post links on here yet. Just opened this account

I meant to add that you can go to the Yakima (or Thule too I’m sure) website and configure it for your car, and it will give you all of your options and tell you what you need. I used jet stream bars (quietest but most expensive) and the set up for those. Round bars would be the cheapest (but loudest), so that could save quite a bit of money and keep things within your budget. Also check amazon, some components were a little cheaper from them.

My local outdoor store is also having a sale right now for roof rack gear because of the season. Check yours out too, they may be doing the same.