Scan Gauge II Review

Kev250R

This is my other car
Here's a quick write-up about one of my favorite gadgets. It's a ScanGauge II. It plugs into the OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) port at the bottom of your dashboard. In the US every car or truck since 1998(?) must have an OBD II port located someplace (fairly) close to the steering wheel. The OBD port is the one which your or a Mechanic would normally plug a scan tool into in order to read (and clear) any trouble codes which may (or may not in some cases) illuminate your 'Check Engine' light.

However in addition to reading and clearing trouble codes the Scan Gauge II can also display data from a number of sensors on your car in real-time. Here's a list of what you can display, four items at a time:
+Closed loop/open loop status (relates to how the Oxygen sensor is or isn't being used)
+Manifold pressure
+Boost (if your engine is turbo or supercharged)
+Instant MPG
+Average fuel economy
+Trip fuel cost
+Gallons per hour
+MPH
+RPM
+Throttle Position Sensor status (what % your throttle is open)
+Water temperature
+Battery Voltage
+Intake air temperature
+Fuel pressure
+Ignition timing
+Engine loading (in percents)
+Horsepower

In addition I think the newest version of software has some features (such as trans temp) which my older unit doesn't have. My unit is about two years old. A software update can be had for $25 (I think) though I haven't pursued it. There are a LOT of features relating to MPG and trips which I haven't explored much. It's a simple device to move from vehicle-to-vehicle, and even has the capability of being used on Diesel engines (I've used it in my '11 F-450 with just a minimum of system changes). Here's some pics:

It comes with a users manual too.

It plugs in near where your hood release lives

You can scan for codes. My Scan Gauge seems quite at home in the space in front of the gear shift which in my car isn't an ashtray.

The four things I normally monitor while I drive.

Kevin

Last edited:
Kev250R - That's a fantastic write up! Thank you.

I've read the ScanGauge can really help improve fuel economy by showing the driver where they can adjust their driving style and increase fuel economy.

Has it been a reliable unit for you?

Where did you purchase your ScanGauge from?

Kev250R

This is my other car
Your welcome, it really is a powerful tool which can provide a lot of information. On long trips I'll typically toggle between different screens so I can look at different things, which entertains me :D

To be honest most people who buy a Scan Gauge likely use it to monitor fuel economy as it allows you to put specific vehicle specs in (engine size, tank size) once that's been input it's then easy to monitor instant MPG and even Gallons used per hour. It also has a feature which shows what percentage the throttle is open which can be a big help in maximizing fuel economy.

I don't use mine every day, mainly just on long trips unless I suspect I'm having a problem I want to keep an eye on but yes, it has been reliable and it seems to provide accurate information. The main reason I got it was because a couple of my vehicles only provide a temp gauge and a fuel gauge and I wanted to know more about what was going on. IMO Mine paid for it's self a couple of months ago when I was four-wheeling in the sand at Pismo in my 4x4 and I saw the engine was running hotter than I like (~220F!) however the stock temp gauge didn't move until the water temp was at 215F. Of course an argument could be made that I should have been watching it closer but at least I caught it, eventually :rolleyes:

I got mine from Amazon and now their about $160 though they seem to offer a similar unit which is mainly geared towards MPG for closer to $100. I love the simplicty of it and the fact that after playing with it for a few minutes when I first got it I rarely need the instructions, which is always a plus in my book.

One last thing, here in California our cars and trucks have to go through a smog test every two years. Part of that test involves the smog place plugging a computer into the OBD port to look for any current or recent codes. If any are found, or if the computer see's evidence that a scan tool was used within the past fifty miles or so, your car fails and you have to bring it back a few days later. My Silverado recently was due for a smog test. I was on a trip two hours from my home and meant to un-plug my Scan Gauge for the drive home so that a day or so later when I took the truck in for a smog check there would be no issue. Well I forgot to do that and remembered the next day while on my way to the smog tester, less than 10 miles from my house. I unplugged it but was sure I'd need to come-back for a re-test but I didn't, the computer couldn't tell that anything had been plugged into OBD. A normal read and erase code scanner would have caused me to fail the test.

Enjoy your new toy! :D

Kevin

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
Sorry, I could have been more clear about that. My point was that the Scan gauge didn't interfere with my emissions test, whereas a normal scan tool (the kind which only read and erase codes) would have.

Kevin

Kevin, I have a code reader/scanner and it has never interfered with a vehicle passing an emissions test, unless the scanner is used to reset the monitors on the vehicle which will then cause it to fail emissions inspection until the monitors reset.

The ScanGauge sure seems like a very handy item to have and in many ways!:thumbsup:

I read in the news about the earthquake in California. I hope it didn't cause you any problems.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Scott, good to know about a 'typical' scan tool not causing problems with passing emissions. Thankfully my own cars seem to have no problem passing my state's very strict emissions testing (so far) though some of my friends cars have been a struggle to get through, but I probably shouldn't tell the stories of how we got some of those to pass in a public forum :laughing:

Thanks for the thoughts about the earthquake, this time it was ~6 hours north of where I live so I didn't feel it (thought I got a text about it early this morning), however I may be going up to that area to assist with some emergency repairs for for my work in the next day or so. I don't really like them but here in Ca. living with earthquakes just sort of becomes a way of life. Thankfully we don't get them that often; they seem to come in spurts.

Kevin

With every large earthquake in California, it causes me concern to realize it could bring on more and larger earthquakes, i.e. the San Andreas fault. When that lets go...thousands of people will die. :(

Kev250R

This is my other car
Very true although a lot of us try to be as prepared for that as we can be for them. Thankfully most of the time the damage seems to be very localized. There has been talk of the San Andreas fault going for as long as I can remember. We just prepare for it as best we can :)

Kevin

The Earthquake in Mexicali didn't cause San Andreas fault to go, and that one was pretty severe (registered a 7.8 and I felt it ~300 miles from the epicenter in Palm Desert, felt the aftershock too). And Palm Desert is in the southern end of San Andreas Fault.

It's going to someday, sooner or later and with every large earthquake the odds get worse. :( If it were me, I'd be hightailing it out of there as fast as possible.

Very true although a lot of us try to be as prepared for that as we can be for them. Thankfully most of the time the damage seems to be very localized. There has been talk of the San Andreas fault going for as long as I can remember. We just prepare for it as best we can :)

Kevin

Kevin,

Where did you buy your scanner? May I ask how much you paid?

Another option for an OBD scanner would be a simple OBD adapter ($30 on eBay) and an app called Torque ($5 last time I looked) out is a simpler version of this...great write up

Yes, I was looking for a way to clear engine codes and it does s lot more...real time information so you could track 1/4 mile times, engine load, how eco friendly you are driving and the list goes on...worth looking at