Sea Foam?

Well, that depends on what you're using it for. It's great for taking paint off metal, removing stickers from glass, and it has been known to kill squirrels and raccoons...:laughing:

Yes, SeaFoam is a great product, particularly for gas engines that you don't run very often (mowers, generators, gas trimmers, gas blowers, etc.) I put a few ounces of SeaFoam in the tank of my Honda VTX before I stop riding in the winter and let it run through a bit. That, plus a battery tender, and I haven't had a problem. I also put in in the tank of my generator and mower. It generally keeps the gas from "going bad." It's also good for older engines. Keeps things from getting gummed up, and can clean things out if you've let an engine set for a with with gas in a carburetor.

Not sure if it's necessary for a new car engine, but it couldn't hurt. There are other comparable products as well (AmsOil makes fuel additive).

Last edited:
Well, that depends on what you're using it for. It's great for taking paint off metal, removing stickers from glass, and it has been known to kill squirrels and raccoons...:laughing:

Yes, SeaFoam is a great product, particularly for gas engines that you don't run very often (mowers, generators, gas trimmers, gas blowers, etc.) I put a few ounces of SeaFoam in the tank of my Honda VTX before I stop riding in the winter and let it run through a bit. That, plus a battery tender, and I haven't had a problem. I also put in in the tank of my generator and mower. It generally keeps the gas from "going bad." It's also good for older engines. Keeps things from getting gummed up, and can clean things out if you've let an engine set for a with with gas in a carburetor.

Not sure if it's necessary for a new car engine, but it couldn't hurt. There are other comparable products as well (AmsOil makes fuel additive).
lol thanx bud its going in a 04 rolla with 150k on the clock it has a rough idle and im hoping this helps was also thinking about putting it in the oil i hear you have to change it about 100 miles after is there any truth to that?

I strongly recommend against the use of oil additives as they upset the delicate chemical balance of a motor oil, having unplanned and negative affects.
What he said, ive seen a lot of people posting on other forums that they put seafoam in there oil and i kkrreenngge every time. Dont do it!! With todays oils your engine shouldnt be that dirty and if it is, a good synthetic oil will do more to clean it than seafoam. I use it sometimes i the induction system but its risky, you can hydro-lock your engine in a heartbeat.

I used it in my cooling system to get rid of scale (ran it for 100 miles, then drained and added fresh coolant).

If you have a rough idle, sea foam won't do anything, and rough idle is not oil related. Get it diagnosed. If you haven't done a tune-up in a while, I'd start there.

Yeah...good points. I'd be a little leery of putting something that does a good job of de-scaling radiators into my crankcase. :laughing:

"But the Internet said it was true, so it must be."

Thanx for the advice guys i wont touch the oil. How do you guys feel about changing the oil to synthetic i've heard good things and bad about it. It has 150k on it and i plan on keeping it around

Well, if Scott ever answers his PMs, you could hit him up for some AmsOil.;)

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that synthetic oil is good because it last longer and you don't have to change it as often. I'm not sure if there are any specific advantages of synthetic vs. conventional oil in high mileage engines.

Synthetic adheres to itself and to metal better. Think of regular oil as a bag of different sized marbles. and synthetic as a bag with all marbles the exact same size.

If you think he has sludge issues and you try seafoam plan on dropping the oil pan. I also would not run 100 miles, most people that I know that have used it let the car idle with it for a while. The thought was that the viscosity drops too much by adding this and may not properly protect the engine at higher rpms. The other concern is that while this does clean out sludge it can also plug your oil pick up. This is why many advise dropping the pan to make sure it is clean. Personally I would drop the pan first and see what you find. If there is a lot of sludge you may want to consider trying seafoam, otherwise I would skip it.

Seafoam is mainly kerosene with some cleansers added. I'd use it in fuel and in the intake manifold only. As far as oil goes, use some marvel mystery oil in the oil. It will free up the sludge a lot slower than Seafoam. This means less clogging issues. Marvel also maintains your oils lubricity abilities a lot better than Seafoam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wow thanx guys ton of great info here. I found the vibration, the exhaust is loose i was rear ended a few months back and it bent the muffler a bit and it sounds like the manifold is a bit loose. It has a low rumble when i start it up in the morning and also has a high pitch hum if you drive it cold. I havent been under it yet so I'm not sure exactly whats going on with it. But think i will be switching to synthetic thank you don for the visual thats prob the best explanation of synth vs reg oil I've ever heard. As far as the sea foam i ran it through the tank only, it runs a little better not really noticeable but is a little quieter.