Sometimes Will Start, Sometimes Won't

I have a 1997 Geo Prizm, similar to a Toyota Corolla.

Most of the time my car starts but sometimes my car will crank and crank and never turn over. what's weird is that if I leave it alone and come back 20 min later it will start no problem. sometimes it will start even if i take in and out the key. what I have noticed is that the 2 lights on the right side of my dash don't come on when my car isn't working, and will come on when my car is working. one of those lights is my battery light.

I have taken my car to multiple mechanics. my battery, started, ground plugs, and alternator all passed the diagnostics test. Every time i take my car in, it works perfect for the mechanics of course and starts every time.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point, please help!

Possibly Ignition switch or worn out key

Hi there.
ive had a similar problem with a 94 corolla. and also had many mechanics look at it.
i eventually fixed it myself after i found the key was quite a loose fit in the ignition barrel.
are you finding that the more extreme the temperatures the more problem happens. i.e. really cold or really hot??
if you have a spare key that wasn't used much, or get a fresh key cut. it might help.

hope this helps.

resolution?

I have a 1997 Geo Prizm, similar to a Toyota Corolla.

Most of the time my car starts but sometimes my car will crank and crank and never turn over. what's weird is that if I leave it alone and come back 20 min later it will start no problem. sometimes it will start even if i take in and out the key. what I have noticed is that the 2 lights on the right side of my dash don't come on when my car isn't working, and will come on when my car is working. one of those lights is my battery light.

I have taken my car to multiple mechanics. my battery, started, ground plugs, and alternator all passed the diagnostics test. Every time i take my car in, it works perfect for the mechanics of course and starts every time.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point, please help!
Did you have resolution? I have a possible issue, similar to yours. I hope its not the ignition switch...... as your last reply suggested.... or possibly a relay... or heaven forbid, the ECM....

Last edited: