Spontaneous Window Crack, 17 Corolla, no prior chips or nicks. Anyone else?

Discussion in '2014 + Toyota Corolla' started by CodyL, May 27, 2018.

1. CodyL

CodyL New Member

So, I have had my car for just over a year now and I have loved it. I make sure to regularly take care of it, clean it, and get it serviced.

This morning I went out to my car to grab something and I didn't notice anything odd at the time. But, when I went to get in my car an hour or so later there was suddenly an 18" crack that started in the bottom corner on the drivers side and proceeds upwards at an angle crossing just under the rearview.

Like I said, I take a lot of pride in my car, I always owned cars that were old beaters so being able to buy a brand new car was a huge deal for me. So, i'm very familiar with any minor damages that might have existed on the car. For it to crack out of the blue was just astonishing

I have a really high deductible so filing through my insurance was out of the plan. And my tire and wheel warranty only covers repairs, not replacements. Also, with as new as it is there are now after-market ones available. Plus, the safety sense stuff will have to be recalibrated. Overall, big bill I can't really afford.

So, I started doing some research and I noticed there is currently a Class Action Lawsuit in Texas over the 2016-17 Prius windshields cracking under normal operating condition. Also, I have came across a slew of complaints on other Toyota models having similar glass issues. I contacted my dealership but since it is a holiday weekend I have to wait until Tuesday to talk to anyone who might be able to help me get this replaced by Toyota.

2. Corolla Forum Sign Up!

Join CorollaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota Corolla fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Corolla and Matrix Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Toyota, and have a great time with other Corolla fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Toyota you'll find that Corolla Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join CorollaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. euriel

euriel New Member

Ok this is wierd, I had the exact same thing happen on my 2017. At first I thought a pine needle was stuck on the bottom driver side of the windshield but it was a crack. It was about 900 to fix (lane assist recalibrate make it crazy expensive) even the windshield guy said it was very odd because there was no apparent impact or chip.

CodyL likes this.
  4. Chris Denton

Chris Denton New Member

There was someone on a Facebook group last week that was doing some suspension work and had this happen to them too.
    I’ve jacked my 14 up a hundred times and have never had a problem. But, one of my first mods was to add a strut tower brace. Maybe that brace has helped more than I know? Definitely does it’s job for handling.
    Just a side note, when I installed the STB, I was so impressed that I looked for one to put on my Highlander. Come to find out that the Highlander already had one from the factory. I wonder if this has anything to do with the rigidity of toyota’s?

euriel and CodyL like this.
  5. euriel

euriel New Member

Welp, mystery solved!

6. swat_c99

swat_c99 New Member

When a large rock hit our Corolla, the largest window installer place was under $500 for me. It did not require recalibration.

7. euriel

euriel New Member

So if you’re replacing the windshield- as long as you DONT unplug the camera from it’s wire harness aka let it dangle while you replace the windshield, it doesn’t trigger the recalibration error, saving you a good 400 to 500 dollars

8. swat_c99

swat_c99 New Member

As I remember, the tech did not unplug the sensors. Since there are metal brackets mounted on the glass, I was worried about the sensor reading being off and needing a trip to dealer for a calibration.
    If this was the case I was able to ask for a refund or apply the difference for factory windshield.

9. george.stark

george.stark New Member

I sure don't want this happening to me.

I just got a 2018 Corolla LE. I'm not seeing front strut tower braces for it when I search a couple of places that come up in google. Toyota itself has a rear sway bar, that's it for suspension.

Are the "universal" ones OK? Would 2017 fit?

10. swat_c99

swat_c99 New Member

My understanding is that it is the same glass as 2013+ Corollas but 2017 & 2018 have the camera bracket in the top center. The front windshield from 2017 &18 should be the same but check with the glass companies. When our front windshield had a crack, I call about 10 places including the dealer and Safelite was the cheapest. Check their website and get an estimate. They do have a great warranty so if you are not satisfied you can apply the original cost to an OEM glass and they will install.

11. george.stark

george.stark New Member

Thanks for the information on Safelite.

However, I was asking about the "Universal" front tower strut braces.

12. Chris Denton

Chris Denton New Member

TRD makes a front strut tower brace. I would recommend this one over the universal ones. TRD is a one piece design. These aftermarket STB’s are usually 3 piece with pivot points. Just doesn’t seem effective IMO.

13. euriel

euriel New Member

I feel like I may have scared you, let me explain..
    The crack ulimatley occurred because when I put on the sway bar, the car was not perfectly level, I also may have screwed the bolts on the windshield wiper too tight. The TRD tower bar is probably the best out there for the Corolla, anything that isn't a solid one piece bar, won't to do much of anything. I can say since then, I've had no issues and to be honest, I'm very glad I added the tower bar in addition with the TRD sway bar, the more you MOD the car, the more important and useful the TRD tower/strut bars become.

Chris Denton likes this.
  14. euriel

euriel New Member

I just didn't realize my mystery crack was caused by user error, until the corolla demi-god himself Chris Denton graced this post ;)

15. george.stark

george.stark New Member

When I search, I'm having problems finding the current TRD front tower brace.

Also, is this worth doing prior to expiration of the bumper-to-bumber warranty?

16. Chris Denton

Chris Denton New Member

I’ll find you a link.
    Toyota offers the TRD parts as dealer add ons. You could have had them installed upon delivery and they would be covered under the warranty. With that said, it will not effect your factory warranty. And if you are to install it yourself, I have a video on YouTube that you should watch. Removing the upper cowl. I may have posted it above.

17. Chris Denton

Chris Denton New Member

george.stark likes this.
  18. Chris Denton

Chris Denton New Member

Lol!

19. george.stark

george.stark New Member

Ordering that will be fun. That page shows 3 pictures. The left-hand picture really looks like what's shown in your video. The other 2 are different from the left-hand one, and from each other, too!

Amazon,and Sparks Parts, show the right one.

Other sites are also confused.

trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com, toyotapartsdeal.com, and monkeywrenchracing.com show wrong parts.

WTF.

20. george.stark

george.stark New Member

Were you over 36,000 miles? I thought the factory warranty would cover something like this.

21. Chris Denton

Chris Denton New Member

I had the same problem when ordering mine. It’s just a picture that’s inaccurate. As long as you order the correct part number, you’ll get the right part.

george.stark likes this.