Squeaky Brakes

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Need more information.

Are you certain it's the brakes causing the noise?

How many miles are on the brakes since they were last replaced?

Is the squeaking noise coming from the front or the back of the car?

Does it make any difference with the noise if the car has been driven for a while, or not?

Need more information.

Are you certain it's the brakes causing the noise?

How many miles are on the brakes since they were last replaced?

Is the squeaking noise coming from the front or the back of the car?

Does it make any difference with the noise if the car has been driven for a while, or not?
My rear left brakes is squeaking too. It does at slow speeds and squeaks, stops, squeaks, stops...sound like there is a point that catches or something. Maybe drums? I'll try to rotate the drums tomorrow and see if it helps. Haven't seen any loose or worn parts in the back.

Don't rotate the drums. You'll lose brake efficiency because the pads will only match that drum. Brakes always wear slightly different.

Semi-metallic pads typically squeak and make noise at low speeds. The squeaking could be that, or glazed pads, or the wheel cylinder. Usually, taking off the drums and pressing and releasing the brake (only do this once) will tell you if the squeal is a hardware issue or a pad issue.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Your drums have fingerprints, and if you rotate them you will get the squeak on the other one.

1 inspect them there will be a build up of Dust,
2 look around the edges for Rust, you will see the brown spot
3 that will be your squeak.

clean with brakeleen spray, or brake cleaner spray. I bet some will take sandpaper and try to get the rust away, I make sure you have taken off the drum make sure you have no rough edges clean up the system, and continue forward. good luck

Well it's mainly only in reverse, sounds like front brakes but haven't changed the brakes since I bought it. Only 55,000 miles. Should I get new rotors or pads?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well it's mainly only in reverse, sounds like front brakes but haven't changed the brakes since I bought it. Only 55,000 miles. Should I get new rotors or pads?
Please take a picture for us of the front pad, as well the back pad. then we can say.

Your front pads are where the sensors are now hitting, giving the warning by sound, not visual. It is best to get to a dealer or parts shop, and get some replacements, and change out your fronts for now. Your reap pads are no where near the wear line, due to the rear not doing the braking , or the park brake, used. One is for the park brake the other for the actual brake.

Fronts always wear out first, not true. Front disk and rear drums, front will always wear out.

fronts and rear disk brakes all wear evenly, many do not believe that, I do!

I do not think your rotors are shot, are they warped? really messed up in finger print, or you are riding the pads to the back metal plates??

It sounds like your brake pads are worn out and hitting the wear sensors to let you know it's time to replace them. If not replaced and the brake pad wears off entirely, next the brake pad backing plate will score the brake rotors, destroying them. If you know how to do a brake job, it would be wise to look at the brake pads and see how worn they are.

Last edited: