Starter location 1995 Corolla?

Greetings. I'm new to this forum, and attempting to help a friend who has a Corolla. It is a 1.8L dx. He doesn't have a manual. I'm trying to locate the starter, but finding conflicting information on where it's located. I've removed the air cleaner, but can't see anything that looks like a starter. Can't view from under the car. A fellow on a web site said it was located in front, between radiator and engine. No dice.

Symptoms: No crank, no start, no click, 40A fuse (fusible link) in engine compartment blows.

So far: I verified battery good, cleaned terminals, replaced 40A link, turned key, fuse blew immediately in start position. Used a test light on that link, which showed a short. He recently gave someone a jump, she connected battery wrong, caused an arc. Ignition cylinder was also recently replaced. I strongly suspect that either the starter is grounding out, the ignition switch itself is faulty, or a wire got burned and is touching ground. Instead of replacing parts to troubleshoot, I attempted to narrow it down. I thought if I could disconnect the electrical terminal for the starter, I could eliminate that with the test light, but I can't locate it. If anybody could tell me where this damn thing lives, I'd appreciate it. Or, if you've had a similar experience, how it was resolved. Thanks in advance,
Steve

The starter is underneath the intake manifold on the driver's side. Haven't changed it myself, but I would remove the intake manifold first for better access.