Steering Wheel Getting Smudgey

o the title is a little confusing, but basically the paint or dye or whatever on my steering wheel has already started to deteriorate. Cars a 09 corolla s with a black leather wrapped steering wheel. I've had it since 2008 and its my baby. Im pretty ocd about washing my hands and I hardly sweat so I didn't think this would happen to my steering wheel, at least not this soon. That said, I live in southern California where I guess heat damage substitutes for rust damage.

Anyways , its getting pretty ugly. The dye (at least I think its dye, go ahead and call me an idiot here if I'm totally wrong) gets semi sticky and I guess me gripping the wheel is starting to smudge it because I'm getting matte looking surfaces and spots of lighter black.

What are my options here, guys/gals? New wheel? Have the wraps reupholstered? Is that possible and if so would itt likely be cheaper? What about having the wheel restored? Or is that stupid? In any case, short of some miracle polishing technique I feel like I'm looking at having my dealership/stealership handle this unless anyone has recommendations for places in los Angeles. I'm up for spending some money on this because its genuinely distracting me while I drive now

Thanks,
rom09corolla

It can get repaired, but check to see what a new wheel costs and compare it to repair (might surprise you, restoration has manual labor, assembly when new is machines).

Are you detailing the car at all? I used armor all on the interior of my 2008 Toyota Matrix and never had interior panels deteriorate, and I park outside and live in San Diego.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been going through some credit card fraud thats just now finally getting resolved.What a nightmare that's been.

Anyways, no Donabed Kopoian, no detail work including any protective measures like armor all. In hindsight, big mistake I guess. I'm taking protective measures now including armor all, reflective window shades, and cracking the windows on hot days.

As for an update, Scott O'Kashan, I've got a maintainence appointment scheduled for next Saturday at my dealership. I'm going to ask what they think the best plan of action is. I can't spend a fortune obviously so hopefully I get some good news.

Thanks

fishycomics

Super Moderator
They make leather cleaners. Mink oil to preserve leather. Wheelskins.com but ask them the actual width of their product so you can measure against yours.

Oils of your palms wearing them out. MY hands are with Bees wax and some.. ....

I gone through a wheelskin in 10 years time, not 5 years plus..

I do not think you can cut away the skin and replace with another. but get another wheel for a few hundred and good luck

Last edited:
Something similar happened to my 10 steering wheel. I put a steering wheel cover on it about 4 months ago I was detailing it last month and took the cover off. And there are white streaks on my wheel. I thought it was the rubberized inside melted off but I wonder if it is the dy?! Makes me sad though... Either way.

Yeah, it all comes down to how often you detail. The person that I bought my '96 Mustang GT from never detailed and it showed. Carpet was trashed, the steering wheel was horribly mis-colored and the seats were trash. But it had a V8 so...

I detailed my Matrix at least every six months (although I try to detail every 3 months but school is a time vampire), and after 6 years the interior looked like it came off the assembly line. No discoloration or cracking or peeling at all, anywhere.

Just use a mild soap/degreaser with hot water (but not so hot it burns you).

May take some elbow grease but that is the only way to get it off. I get AlN on my arms from work and that is what I have to use to get it off my door trim (since I tend to rest my elbow there as I drive).

Sorry for the late reply, I've been going through some credit card fraud thats just now finally getting resolved.What a nightmare that's been.
romo9corolla - For the benefit of everyone else, could you please share your story. What happened and how did this happen? How did you get it cleared up? Very curious.

You've got AIN on your arms?! Get to a Doctor quickly before it spreads! :blink::eek::D
AlN (Aluminum Nitride). When it mixes with water it turns into Aluminum Oxide and Ammonium Hydroxide. Definitely not good for interior panels. Most of the time I was my hands up to my elbows before leaving but sometimes I have to leave last minute and rush to get out the door.

Just use a mild soap/degreaser with hot water (but not so hot it burns you).

May take some elbow grease but that is the only way to get it off. I get AlN on my arms from work and that is what I have to use to get it off my door trim (since I tend to rest my elbow there as I drive).
I actually use a magic erase and it came right off barely scrubbed.