Stereo Display Goes Blank

Often the display in my 2010 Corolla stereo head unit goes blank. Then it is impossible to change stations. Pressing any button turns the unit off, then on. The only way to correct this (which doesn’t always work) is to turn the unit off, turn engine completely off, restart engine, turn unit on. It may work properly for a time, then go blank again.:thumbdown:

buck

It's a long shot but check the battery connection and/or health of the battery itself.

I was looking at a '13 Scion TC that had the same sort of problem. The battery was dead. The car would start up after being boosted and everything seemed fine minus the issue with the radio. When the dealer replaced the battery it worked fine.

The only other thing I can think of, since you said turning off the engine and back on helps, is that the relay that controls the radio circuit during startup has gone bad. I am not sure where the relay is located but logically speaking it should be in the box under the hood with all the other relays. I won't venture a guess at how much it might cost to replace because relays are sometimes only a few bucks - other times they're exorbitantly priced. Had a fuel pump relay go bad in my motorcycle that cost almost $200 to replace.

Last edited:
i have the same problem in my 2010 Corolla (69,000 miles). It started about a month or two ago. If I just leave the radio on for like 5 or so minutes, the display comes back again. Then I can change the volume/stations.