Still on top reliability wise in this segment

I was drooling over the new Civic when it came out but from what I'm seeing and reading, DAAAMN so many issues. I don't even want to think about when that turbo starts acting up. Perfect example of what happens when you deviate from a working approach which is subtle changes. Honda redid this thing from top to bottom, new drivetrain, body, everything. In a sense it's good, innovation is welcomed and they'll probably work things out in the coming year models. One thing that's really disappointing is that the US market has been waiting for a Civic TypeR for years and now that we finally have it they're having issues with that car too. Transmission, overheating, who knows what else. Don't get me wrong I would love to own one but for 40K you expect a bit more.

Perfect example of what happens when you deviate from a working approach which is subtle changes. Honda redid this thing from top to bottom, new drivetrain, body, everything.
where as the corolla is 90% same as last generation.

It's not like the Sport Compact Car is a segment without options, and honestly I think Honda is going a little far off their tracks with the gaudy styling, (except for the variable backflow exhaust which is awesome). Their meat-and-potatoes is reliability and contemporary styling, so this just seems like a gamble to me. If you're going to drop 40k on a hatch, get yourself a GTI, or, why not go AWD and get yourself a SVT RS, if you can handle that god-awful interior...

Consumer Reports says Corolla is king. I doubt this will change any time soon. o_O

I've owned 7 Toyotas over the years, and one '07 Civic Sedan (stock). I'll stick with Toyotas, although the Civic is a recognized reliable vehicle. I just never got used to the Civic's "personality" like i'm used to the Toyota brand's overall "personalities".

I owned a couple of hondas but had bad dealership experience bunch of times which is part of the reason I stick with Toyota. It’s no Lexus but they’re definitely better than Honda. What drove me to switch are multiple incidents and I couldn’t tolerate this any more, for instance after wheel rotation they forgot to tighten the lugs TWICE two different times. I was driving my accord at around 50mph and rear started to vibrate. I pulled over right away suspected what’s happening and kicked the tire, the thing almost fell off the car. If it was a second later it could have ended much worse. Then few months later I’m just getting an oil change so I leave my car and porter nr1 starts the car, adds windshield fluid then slams the hood hard and pulls up. 2 min later porter nr2 pops the hood adds more windshield fluid and slams the hood. I came out and said wtf is going on in a nice way of course after noticing total miscommunication and chaos. They must have opened closed my hood 5 times before it even got on the lift. I freaking pictured this scenario and it happened. I’m waiting and finally I get called, your hood latch is broken LOL. I have an argument about the whole porter thing with the manager and not only they didn’t own up to it, they didn’t have the part in stock. I said FACK this place, waited 2 hours for the part and paid around 150-200 for what they broke. There were more incidents similar to this one. At Toyota dealership at least I don’t have to worry about unnecessary bs.

I was drooling over the new Civic when it came out but from what I'm seeing and reading, DAAAMN so many issues. I don't even want to think about when that turbo starts acting up. Perfect example of what happens when you deviate from a working approach which is subtle changes. Honda redid this thing from top to bottom, new drivetrain, body, everything. In a sense it's good, innovation is welcomed and they'll probably work things out in the coming year models.
The next Corolla is also supposed to be all new from frame to engines with part of the production from a new plant... so who knows ? Although I trust manufacturing quality control from Toyota more than from Honda : new cars with missing piston ring clip? Improperly machined shaft in transmissions? Wrong CVT fluid from the plant? Really? When the Fit had so many issues, they blamed it on sub-par parts from Mexican suppliers... but doesn't someone check those before installing them? Plus new frame for Corolla means TNGA already used for Prius and Camry and, if so, new engines might mean one of those already launched in Europe. A more gradual approach.

The next Corolla is also supposed to be all new from frame to engines with part of the production from a new plant... so who knows ? Although I trust manufacturing quality control from Toyota more than from Honda : new cars with missing piston ring clip? Improperly machined shaft in transmissions? Wrong CVT fluid from the plant? Really? When the Fit had so many issues, they blamed it on sub-par parts from Mexican suppliers... but doesn't someone check those before installing them? Plus new frame for Corolla means TNGA already used for Prius and Camry and, if so, new engines might mean one of those already launched in Europe. A more gradual approach.
It'll be interesting to see how that goes. Have you been able to verify if new corolla will use CVT or traditional AT or dual clutch, manual available? Did you see anywhere what engine they're throwing in the new corolla? Wonder if it's going up in displacement, direct injection or lower displacement and forced induction? Curious to see about all of that. Also kind of bummed that new Supra will be using BMW straight 6 and manual will only be available on the BMW version and Toyota will be getting Auto only. KInd of sucks cause you'll have to pay premium for the BMW, plus I don't like driving a bmw with all the stigma associated with it. I do like their straight 6 engines they make, makes sense to put a straight 6 under that long hood and reinventing the wheel doesn't make sense if bmw has been making straight 6 engines forever and have it down pretty damn good. Easily tune-able engines and can take loads of power, we're talking similar to previous gen Supra in the 800hp range.

Have you been able to verify if new corolla will use CVT or traditional AT or dual clutch, manual available?
Also kind of bummed that new Supra will be using BMW straight 6 and manual will only be available on the BMW version
In both cases you'll only find rumors and speculations right now. More informations on the Supra in 3 weeks at the Geneva auto show, at least for the European versions (American versions may be different : think of the CH-R with 4WD and hybrid in Europe vs traction in NA or the hybrid Corolla not available here). The only sure facts have been known for a while : platform sharing (which can lead to quite different interpretations) and assembly line sharing, at least for Europe (Magna Austria, specialized in niche-car assembly for main brands). Sharing optional engines between BMW and Toyota is not uncommon in Europe. Manual is a niche market in a niche segment... So I guess each brands will go for its own targeted market image.