Stock Tires

Are the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's stock on all Corolla's? Does anyone have an opinion of them. I've seen good and bad comments. All I know for now is that they're much better than the Dunlops that came stock on my Tacoma.

Ted

My Corolla S came with the Eagle RS-As and at 15,000 miles I got rid of them. They were hard riding tires. I replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and have been very happy with that choice.

Just installed Michelin Defenders on my 2004 Corolla LE. They are great in all weather, best tire to date. I have 156,000 on it and going strong!

My car came with the Goodyear tires. I hate them!!!! I want to get new tires so bad, I want to wait until the end of the year though, before the winter starts.

I bought a 2011 Sport with Eagle RS-A tires and have been getting a noise checked out by the dealer under warranty. They acknowledged the noise when on a test drive with me however they could not figure out what it was caused by. The noise was like a thumping and whining sound. All they tried to do was to convince me to get a wheel alignment done. The tires are wearing evenly so I declined as it was $100 charge. They did confirm that the car is safe to drive, the wheel bearings etc were good.

So then I looked into the reviews of these RS-A tires and they are horrible.
Others have complained about thumping and excessive noise as well as poor rain and snow handling. I got about 50% tread left, cant wait to get rid of them.

Well, if the dealer said there was no problem with the car, then I looked into the review of the tires where others have indicated the same problem as I am having, it obviously leads one to conclude that the tires are the culprits!!

Last edited:
Possibly. If that is the case, Goodyear will warranty the tires. See your local Goodyear dealer. Note: don't just go see a tire store that sells Goodyear tires, go to a Goodyear company owned store and if the tires are causing a problem, they will take care of it for you.

Here is their website --> http://www.goodyear.com/ In the lower right of the opening page, look for, "Find A Local Store".

I hope this helps you out. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
My pleasure. I hope it helps you out. If the tires are causing this problem, they will be covered under warranty.

Note; you wont read about that in online reviews. lol

Just got back from the tire shop. They said "Right rear wheel bent".
They high speed balanced all the wheels and found that the one wheel was out due to a bent wheel. He said it is really nothing to worry about and if it doesnt bother me it can be left the way it is, however it is causing a slight uneven wear on that tire.

I think they are correct in this as the sound did change abit for me when I rotated the wheels, so the culprit wheel went from the front to the back.
The strange thing is that there is absolutely no vibration at freeway speeds.

Since it is causing uneven tire wear, not to mention driving me crazy, I will have to fix the problem. I see a refurbished wheel on ebay for just under $200
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-CORO..._Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item2a1f5b1e67&vxp=mtr

I also called up a wheel refinisher place and they said if it is a backside bent it will cost about $100-$125, but if it is a face side (?) it will cost more.

I am leaning towards getting another wheel, thoughts?

So I guess the tires themselves are not faulty after all, although they did say that these do have a noisy ride.

I knew they'd take care of you better than the dealership would. When it comes to tires and alignment issues, typically dealerships know just about this --> 0

When you say tire shop, I presume you mean a company owned Goodyear tire/service center?

No one tire can do it all and tires that tend to be noisier than others also typically tend to be better in the snow and rain than tires that are quieter, but sacrifice snow and rain traction. Personally, I want a tire that is going to provide good snow and rain traction before anything else. If they are a bit noisy, I can always turn on the radio. :) I'd rather do that than end up in a ditch, (or worse), when the snow fly's.

Check with your insurance company to see if they will cover the cost of a new wheel.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping me determine what the problem is, it would've driven me wobbly. And yes I did go through a Good Year shop, I actually called up Good Year HO, who directed me to a shop nearby.

Unfortunately, my insurance does not cover this, oh well at least I know what is wrong now.
Thanks again and take care.

Glad to be of help. Anytime you need a hand, just come on over to the Toyota Corolla Forum. :)

The personnel at Goodyear company owned stores tend to be very professional and really know what they are doing. I used to work for them.

For a good used wheel check --> http://www.Car-Part.com

Get that bent wheel replaced as soon as you can, because as you noted, it will adversely affect tire wear. Plus, the wheel position it is located on is being hammered with vibration from the bent wheel, with the result being parts can wear out prematurely.

A four wheel alignment check at your local Goodyear store would be wise. Tires aren't cheap and an out of align vehicle can prematurely wear tires, decrease fuel economy and reduce safe handling.

Yes, I am looking to get that wheel replaced or repaired soon.
Thanks for the link to used parts I will check with them Monday.
And yes, wheel alignment is a good idea just to be sure all is good.
Corolla Forums are indeed an excellent source for info.
I have been on various different forums (Honda/Ford etc) and I get much better answers from forums than I do from the dealerships.

Remember to rotate and re-balance the tires every six months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. Lifetime balance/rotation packages can be purchased where you can then get this service done for free for as long as the tires are on the car. Regular rotating and re-balancing will greatly extend the life of the tires and reduce the possibility they will get irregular wear patterns on them, which will make the tires very, very loud.