Storing Car At Vacation Home

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to get a new Corolla soon, but my 2006 LE is still going strong with 225,000 miles on it!

Instead of trading in the 2006 and getting $300 or something, I am considering keeping it regsistered and insured, andleaving it at our vacation house in Maine. Sometimes it's convenient to have a second car with us with we are at the house, and it would largely be used for short local trips.

But I am wondering what challenges I will face with a car that won't be used for long periods of time. In the summer it would probably get driven at least once a week, but there could be up to 10 week stretches in the winter and spring when no one would be around to drive it or start it.

I would have to store it outside, perhaps under a heavy duty car cover, tarp.

I know that I need to add fuel stabilizer. Should I disconnect the battery?

Someone mentioned covering the tailpipe so mice don't get in to the exaust. Is that necessary?

What else needs to be done?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It would be a good idea to disconnect the battery so it doesn't go dead.

If mice want to get into the exhaust, more power to them. I doubt they are going to chew on metal. :)

I don't think you have to physically take it out. Maybe just disconnecting them is good enough? Ideally in a trickle charger bc when you will need to use it, the battery is good to go. I would block the exhaust because the varmints could build a home inside and then it would just get to be a pain to clean out.
I would add the stabilizer then drive to gas station and fill up. Helps get the fuel mixture into the internals. That's how I treat my motorcycles. I even top off the gas after I get home. Less O2/air in the tank, less chances of the gas going bad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk