Strange Issue: Warm engine stalling

Hogue69

Posting for my brother, I am out of ideas, he has a 2001 Corolla LE with the 1.8L, car has 130k on the odometer, and is in relatively good shape otherwise, so here's the issue...

After a few miles of being driven, revving the car over 2200-2300 RPM causes engine to stall, and must be restarted, also as the car is warmed up, it is much harder to get the vehicle to turn over, and start. From a cold start, and on a cold engine we can beat the hell out of it, no issues with revving it up, no issues with stalling whatsoever, car turns over quickly. The only code being thrown is for a cam position sensor, but that doesn't really seem conducive to this issue.

I have pulled and cleaned mass airflow sensor, tested voltage on throttle position sensor and they are right at spec, closed, opening, wide open, and closing. Pulled throttle body, cleaned top to bottom, cleaned out idle air control, car has new plugs all the way around, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new intake air filter, running out of ideas here, when he first bought this car it once threw a code (not sure now exactly which code) but it pointed to the catalytic converter.

Also, the strangest issue for me is that these problems ONLY pop up once the engine has warmed up, there are no signs at all when run cold, and on a fresh cold start. Transmission is shifting smoothly, car idles nice and evenly, also he has remarked that fuel mileage has really sucked since this issue occurred (poor guy is driving it very cautiously and slowly to work!)

Could this be related to the cam position sensor? Could this be an issue from a plugged catalytic converter, any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Of course you need to replace the cam position sensor. The ECU rely on the data from the position sensor and adjust the timing with the engine speed and temperature. If the engine is not getting the right data. It may shutdown the engine or provide the wrong timing to plugs and injectors.

For the cat, you will probably know if something is wrong with it. If it starts glowing after driving for a while, then it's plugged very badly. You can also use a laser temperature gun to see if the temperature out is higher than the temperature in.

But yeah, if the OBD2 is telling you what the problem is, I am inclined to trust that.