The Flywheel Exposed Outside

Hello all,

I have a 2003 Corolla with manual transmission. Today when i lift the car i found the flywheel engaged by starter (Not the flywheel engaged by clutch disc) looks like expose outside a few under the chassis. it seems that there is missing a cover plate to seal the flywheel cavity. pls see the pictures. Could anybody give me any suggestion? thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:
Flywheel that engages the clutch (face of flywheel) is the same that the starter turns (teeth of flywheel).

As far as I know, the bellhousing should be all one piece. It is hard to tell from the picture, but this looks like the metal sheet that mounts from the engine block to cover the lower part of the bellhousing. Gonna have to go to a dealership for that part. Looks like whoever replaced the clutch forgot to re-install it (and why they removed it completely is beyond me).

The flywheel cover can be plastic too.

It's a wise item to keep on the car as it keeps dirt, rocks, mud, etc. from getting in there and potentially causing problems when trying to start the car.

What happened to the original cover? Where did it go?
Honestly this car I just bought recently i don't know what happened in the before of the owner. I found this defect until i do oil change last week. what the dealship thought as you, it's possible they forgot installed it when they do clutch disk change. Well, what make me surprised is the dealship quote me the price is only $70 including the part and labour cost. I originally thought is $700! after i confirmed with them yes it's $70 plus tax. Very good price in a dealship.