Third set of Choppy Tires

Hi All,
I am new to this forum, looking for HELP. I do dive a lot mostly on highways so end of 2011 bought a new Corolla S (2011). Other than the OEM tires all the subsequent 3 sets of tires became choppy before end of their life.
The First set started after 65k, the second after 60k and the latest after 40k. I got the alignment and suspension check by different dealer and all turned out to be okay including bearing. I do rotate the tires every 5-5.5k religiously as it was strongly suggested after the second tire. All my current tires and past tires were uni-directional tires and I am thinking the next time to avoid unidirectional so it can be rotated all around rather than front & back.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
-Ansuman

Hi All,
I am new to this forum, looking for HELP. I do dive a lot mostly on highways so end of 2011 bought a new Corolla S (2011). Other than the OEM tires all the subsequent 3 sets of tires became choppy before end of their life.
The First set started after 65k, the second after 60k and the latest after 40k. I got the alignment and suspension check by different dealer and all turned out to be okay including bearing. I do rotate the tires every 5-5.5k religiously as it was strongly suggested after the second tire. All my current tires and past tires were uni-directional tires and I am thinking the next time to avoid unidirectional so it can be rotated all around rather than front & back.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
-Ansuman
What kind of tires are you buying ? Also at 65k your tires are probably wore out. If there not worn out your buying tires with a 90k warranty . Those are made with a harder rubber compound and tend to ride rougher and louder and cup faster. Tires with 30k to 40k warranty are softer compound and will give a smother and quieter ride and also better wet traction.

I completely agree with your point. My current tire is Goodyear Assurance 94H. After 37k overall thread depth is 9/32 from 11/32. I am noticing periodic bumps more so while on highway from driver side which is always been the case for last 3 sets.

I completely agree with your point. My current tire is Goodyear Assurance 94H. After 37k overall thread depth is 9/32 from 11/32. I am noticing periodic bumps more so while on highway from driver side which is always been the case for last 3 sets.
That's your first problem, it's a Goodyear Assurance tire. Ugh. I've never had good luck with Goodyear tires. How many miles are on your car? Just by those numbers you have more then 160k miles. At that point I would also suspect that struts may be getting worn out too. Being able to rotate tire left to right as well will also help.

Agreed, worth checking struts to see how the are. I have 2013 and on my second set. I rotate right rear to left front. left front to left rear, left rear to right front and right front to right rear. I never had a problem with my first set of tires and so far none with the second set. I rotate every 8000 km when I do oil change so it is easy to remember.

Today Morning I took to the Tire mechanic and he couldn't determine either but suggested to change the struts and gave a quote for new non directional tires and Struts. Rear Struts for $600, front $800 and Tires $550 (approx)=$1,950. I also noticed the tires are not really choppy it's cupping all inside facing. I am unsure if the prices are right... and the question to me is the kbb trade-in value of the car is $3,100 at this time and is if it's worth fixing it for the price.

Honestly, fixing is up to you. At some point cars need things to be replaced. Even Toyota's don't last forever without replacing parts. Do you want payments on a new car? or are you ok with fixing something that has reputation of driving for ever and have no car payments. That said I would shop around and get quotes from other places, never go with the only one you talk to.

Today Morning I took to the Tire mechanic and he couldn't determine either but suggested to change the struts and gave a quote for new non directional tires and Struts. Rear Struts for $600, front $800 and Tires $550 (approx)=$1,950. I also noticed the tires are not really choppy it's cupping all inside facing. I am unsure if the prices are right... and the question to me is the kbb trade-in value of the car is $3,100 at this time and is if it's worth fixing it for the price.
If you want to keep the car then replace the struts yourself. It's not very hard to do. There are many videos on You Tube that you can watch. If you have some friends that will help you it can be done in a few hours. If you can learn to service your car yourself you can save tens of thousands of dollars over the years on labor costs.

Thank you for all your advice. I am planning to get struts yourself from a reputed supplier and check with our neighborhood mechanic for a quote on installation.