Tint the Tailights?

Thinking of tinting the tailights with a light gunsmoke tint. What do you guys think? 2014 Toyota Corolla S PLus black sand pearl. Im tinting the whole car too. Just wondering if I should do the tailights.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
As well as pay for the ticket from the police officer, increased insurance costs and damages to the people hurt or killed, which could run into the millions of dollars. Then there's the aspect of manslaughter charges, attorney's fees, prison time, etc. Many would say that's not worth the risk.

Brake lights are a safety item as is any original equipment lighting. Why reduce the effectiveness of the brake lights?

I like the look, but I'm concerned about all the reasons listed above. I keep flip flopping on if I want to do it or not. If I get the balls I might contact my local police department and ask

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Cdsetxo - It is not legal to alter original equipment lighting or lenses. Both these items are regulated by federal law and are safety items. I'm a state licensed vehicle safety inspector and you can't legally do this to a car registered to be driven on public roads as it's dangerous and could kill someone. Even if it were legal, why would you want to take the risk of hurting or killing someone because they couldn't see your dim brake lights and then rear-end you?

Last edited:

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
Wasn't there a company that used to sell tinted lens covers for tail lights? I remember them being popular when I was in high school(graduated 97). I've never done it myself for the reasons everyone listed already. If I ever altered the lights on my vehicle, it would be to go brighter.

I know what company you are thinking of Vtak (trying to remember the name). What they had is equivalent to window tint (light doesn't get it but light goes out), so they were still in DOT spec.

However, rattle can tints don't exhibit that property, and will block the light going in and out.