tire rotation

I wonder if it really matters about tire rotation....normally crisscross front to rear thing..but toyota book calls for same side front to rear swap. what say ye?

Personal ive never rotated tires but i keep my cars aligned up. At any sign of an out of alignment i take it and get a 4 wheel alignment and ive got great life out of my tires...

fishycomics

Super Moderator
when they wear I just buy a new set? that I thought would be the posters responses Lol. rotating will make your tires last longer? Takes about an hour to do, if one has the right tools, a lot faster.

Let me try this again...I understand rotation will make tires last longer ..I'm just curious if it matters what method to use..crisscross..or.. just straight front to rear rotation which the book calls for

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Let me try this again...I understand rotation will make tires last longer ..I'm just curious if it matters what method to use..crisscross..or.. just straight front to rear rotation which the book calls for
sorry bout that.

with a Jack I do exactly that tires to rear opposite sides. rears same side to the front

Lift side up, front to rear, same for other side, then lift rear up and swap left to right.

If your tires are uni-directional then just put the front on the back on the same side. If they are bi-directional then put the front on back on the same side but put the back on the front opposite side. Hope it helps.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the outer left tires will revolve one direction, when introducing it to the outer right they will revolve the opposite. You will always keep the inner side of the tires to the inside where at a given time in your rotation you may want to go to a hop and have them take off the tire and have all inner sides to the outer sides.

something we used to do years ago..

Makes any sense?

the outer left tires will revolve one direction, when introducing it to the outer right they will revolve the opposite. You will always keep the inner side of the tires to the inside where at a given time in your rotation you may want to go to a hop and have them take off the tire and have all inner sides to the outer sides.

something we used to do years ago..

Makes any sense?
Well for this you need to remove the tires from the rims. When the tries came with the Tube then you can do that. Now as the tires are coming tube-less than this practice is not recommended as by removing and installing tires may damage the wall edge and it is also not good for the rims.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well for this you need to remove the tires from the rims. When the tries came with the Tube then you can do that. Now as the tires are coming tube-less than this practice is not recommended as by removing and installing tires may damage the wall edge and it is also not good for the rims.
So what you are saying you get a flat throw your tire away. (smiles)

Cross rotation is only useful if the alignment is off some
and the tire's trailing lug edges are feathering or lifting some.
Doing this cross pattern rotation can wear those feathered (uneven) edges down some
and hopefully compensate a little for the irregular tread wear pattern.
Thus extending the tire's consumable life.

Tho' this is a piss poor method to compensate
for the lack of a professional alignment or tire imbalance.

Tires of the past were biased ply in construction
and should only be mounted in the same rolling direction.
These bias ply tires do still exist for semi trucks and some light trucks,
but are not generally installed on road driven passenger cars.

Current radial tires have eliminated the past concerns
of utilizing bias ply tires and roll perfectly fine in either direction.

However directional tires are designed to roll in a specific direction...
to ensure the most sufficient tread wear and retain a matching tread pattern (look).
And if the tread is run in the opposite direction
it could actually wear more so due to the increased friction
then if they're run in the direction they were designed to roll.

Rotation front to rear (or vice versa)
Is done because the front end is normally heavier then the rear.
And the front tires (due to weight/Gforce) will generate more wear
then would the lighter rear.

This is why the front brake pads generally wear out faster
then do the rears.
The Gforce at the front when braking increases weight
as opposed to the rear which technically becomes lighter when the brakes are applied.
The front brakes do about 70% of the braking or stopping force.
The rears do less but help maintain tracking so the rear stays inline with the front.

Nothing wrong with removing tires from the wheels
and flipping those so the outer lug tread now becomes the inner tread.
Doing this will position the fresher shoulder lugs to the outside
allowing the tires tread to wear more evenly.
If you leave your tire mounted on a wheel the same way forever
you will notice that the inner shoulder lugs show less wear
as opposed to the outers.

Flipping the tires on each wheel is not necessary
everytime the wheels are rotated front-rear.
But should probably be done at least once
during their consumable life.

A proper alignment helps minimize tread wear...
But the shoulder lugs on the outside edge
will always wear quicker due to the Gforce in a turn.

This is even more critical on off road rigs
that grind against rocks or irregular hard surfaces.

The modern machines that breaks down tires
generally will not cause any harm to the tire or wheel.
But will require a complete tire balancing when that's done.

If damage to a tire or wheel does occur during dismounting...
it is more likely due to operator error and not the machine itself.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I wonder if it really matters about tire rotation....normally crisscross front to rear thing..but toyota book calls for same side front to rear swap. what say ye?
Well you got a lot of mixed info and you got to love the internet. DIY or bringing it in $$$$ vs free. an hour of your time or a hour or two ofthers. lkeep us posted what you did?