Toyota Corolla One of the most expensive cars to insure!!!

If I had known this I may have went with a different vehicle. I used to have a 4Runner which cost me around 500 bucks/6 months, both liability, collision, comprehensive and I'm not talking minimal coverage, pretty maxed out. Well, my Corolla costs almost 900 bucks/6 months, 876 to be exact for the same exact coverage.

Wife's 2011 Camry is roughly 550, my cousins 2017 Rav4 is around 500. We're all insured through Allstate ran by a family member and they can't do jack $hit about it.

After doing some research this is pretty normal as Corollas are one of the most stolen vehicles, driven by juveniles who crash a lot and some other crap that doesn't even apply to me. I'm so freaking pissed off.

If I had known this I may have went with a different vehicle. I used to have a 4Runner which cost me around 500 bucks/6 months, both liability, collision, comprehensive and I'm not talking minimal coverage, pretty maxed out. Well, my Corolla costs almost 900 bucks/6 months, 876 to be exact for the same exact coverage.

Wife's 2011 Camry is roughly 550, my cousins 2017 Rav4 is around 500. We're all insured through Allstate ran by a family member and they can't do jack $hit about it.

After doing some research this is pretty normal as Corollas are one of the most stolen vehicles, driven by juveniles who crash a lot and some other crap that doesn't even apply to me. I'm so freaking pissed off.
Same issues here.
I am the only driver of a garage kept vehicle that is 3 years old with 8,700 miles, and I'm paying out the ass with a spotless driving record! Bullshit.

Might be your location. My urban friends' insurance were more than mine when I was younger...i had more tickets,my location wasn't the big city.

If you are like 24+, female=cheaper
The young males and single=$$$

Ya should check with a different insurance company...
I insure 5 vehicles with two different insurance company. No loyalty discount!

Might be your location. My urban friends' insurance were more than mine when I was younger...i had more tickets,my location wasn't the big city.

If you are like 24+, female=cheaper
The young males and single=$$$

Ya should check with a different insurance company...
I insure 5 vehicles with two different insurance company. No loyalty discount!
42, male, married, 2 brats, 2 vehicles, no love!
Last ticket was speeding in 2009.
Location maybe, Northern Virginia outskirts.

I'm in Chicago burbs, kid, wife, real estate, good driving record, same crap, I don't freaking believe it. It's almost not worth keeping this car, better off owning two classes higher and coming out even.

It also depends on the model you bought. At the time I was 21(24 going on 25 now) when I bought the car. I phoned Statefarm to see what my monthly payment would be for the L or LE and they told me $115 a month (including life insurance), if I went with the S Plus (which I did) it would've cost me $175. My first car was a 2000 Chevy Malibu LS which my parents got me when I was 18, 50K miles for $5K, cost me $76 to insurance. I asked why and they told me its because the S model designates it as a "Sport" model, I rebutted with, "It's a Corolla, not a Mustang or a Porsche. They insisted that since I am financing it and the fact that I am under 25, thats the price. Now, I did have an accident a 11.5 months after I got the car, but luckily my dash cam showed that it wasn't my fault and my insurance didn't go up until 1.5 years later when "everyones" insurance went up. Again, if you are under 25, have multiple people on your policy, or have the S "Sport" model, the insurance will be more expensive.

** Fun Fact: My agent called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that in March, when I turn 25, my rates will go down substantially ;) **

It also depends on the model you bought. At the time I was 21(24 going on 25 now) when I bought the car. I phoned Statefarm to see what my monthly payment would be for the L or LE and they told me $115 a month (including life insurance), if I went with the S Plus (which I did) it would've cost me $175. My first car was a 2000 Chevy Malibu LS which my parents got me when I was 18, 50K miles for $5K, cost me $76 to insurance. I asked why and they told me its because the S model designates it as a "Sport" model, I rebutted with, "It's a Corolla, not a Mustang or a Porsche. They insisted that since I am financing it and the fact that I am under 25, thats the price. Now, I did have an accident a 11.5 months after I got the car, but luckily my dash cam showed that it wasn't my fault and my insurance didn't go up until 1.5 years later when "everyones" insurance went up. Again, if you are under 25, have multiple people on your policy, or have the S "Sport" model, the insurance will be more expensive.

** Fun Fact: My agent called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that in March, when I turn 25, my rates will go down substantially ;) **
That's really interesting. I'm paying $115 per month on a '14 LE. But I'm not 25 anymore. Plus I'm married with children and own a home (sorta). WTF?! I'm getting screwed!
Our Highlander is 2008 with 92k and it's a Sport V6, still costs less per month to insure. I think it's about $96.
And we've been with Nationwide for 15 years! We were getting quotes last week and everyone else is even higher!

That's really interesting. I'm paying $115 per month on a '14 LE. But I'm not 25 anymore. Plus I'm married with children and own a home (sorta). WTF?! I'm getting screwed!
Our Highlander is 2008 with 92k and it's a Sport V6, still costs less per month to insure. I think it's about $96.
And we've been with Nationwide for 15 years! We were getting quotes last week and everyone else is even higher!
Get a dash cam, and see if Nationwide will give you a discount for the dash cam. If not, see if they will give you one if you take defensive driving classes.

I cant say with 100% certainty, but it seams I recall a time when the Corolla was up there on the list of most stolen vehicles in the U.S. If this is true then that is the reason for the increase in insurance premiums.

My story: I had a mustang gt 2014 for two years when it started falling apart. Decided to get rid of it, went to Toyota and traded it for a 2016 corolla L. Insurance cost me 150 even with State Farm for the mustang, for the entire two years, no more no less. The corolla is 146 a month, really? hahaha car insurances are scam just like any other insurance. I asked why just 4 dollars difference they told me that is what it is. End of discussion.
I'm 29 and live in Jacksonville FL

I cant say with 100% certainty, but it seams I recall a time when the Corolla was up there on the list of most stolen vehicles in the U.S. If this is true then that is the reason for the increase in insurance premiums.
They just do what they want (insurances) because our corrupt government doesn't want to regulate them just like they don't regulate many things. That is the reality of it. Sad but true. How come I pay just 4 dollars less for my corolla L than my mustang gt? laughable

My 09 Corolla is way more than my 13 Tacoma I traded in. Same area living in and same credentials (deposite, liability amounts, etc). Really surprised me when I found this out after buying it. But I guess that's the extra sacrifice for better mpg

Currently the Honda Civic is the most stolen car. Two of them got stolen the other day at my college campus lol

Let's not forget that insurance companies also run your credit(which is strange because I got my Rolla with 0% financing), the area you live in, and the number of reported accidents/crime in your region. All those things are taken into account. They also use the CLUE database which is managed by LexisNexis to give you rates. The best part, cars are getting safer and safer yet the insurance rates are not going down at all.

I chatted up my last insurance agent just before I switched to another company (due to 2 price increases in 12 months. no tickets, clean record), his "story" was premiums across the board going up. Due to, 1) higher priced replacement parts and 2) accidents occurring more often doing more damage than in the past based on people texting or in some other fashion distracted from the road. Altho these reasons should not single out the Corolla, they are reason premiums are at an all time high...

H
I chatted up my last insurance agent just before I switched to another company (due to 2 price increases in 12 months. no tickets, clean record), his "story" was premiums across the board going up. Due to, 1) higher priced replacement parts and 2) accidents occurring more often doing more damage than in the past based on people texting or in some other fashion distracted from the road. Altho these reasons should not single out the Corolla, they are reason premiums are at an all time high...
hahaha funny, my previous agents from 3 different companies told me the exact same 2 reasons. I call it BS big time

Let's not forget that insurance companies also run your credit(which is strange because I got my Rolla with 0% financing), the area you live in, and the number of reported accidents/crime in your region. All those things are taken into account. They also use the CLUE database which is managed by LexisNexis to give you rates. The best part, cars are getting safer and safer yet the insurance rates are not going down at all.
Yes they do check your credit score and dental record also lol
The do Whatever it takes to charge a big chunk of money. My credit score was the same when I change the mustang gt for the car, everything was the same, still only 4 dollars difference

I'm 36, credit score close to 900, perfect driving record, and the car is an LE not S. I don't get it, I think it's time to shop around for the best price.

30, live in SJ valley in CA, 760 credit, single, no kids, spotless driving record, '16 LE Plus w/ DCP. Any company I've researched always comes out to cost around 800-900/6 months.

Yes they do check your credit score and dental record also lol
The do Whatever it takes to charge a big chunk of money. My credit score was the same when I change the mustang gt for the car, everything was the same, still only 4 dollars difference
Shit, when you turn 50 they'll probably be waiting to hear on your prostate exam results.

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing when I got my first bill. I've tried to understand it, and one thing I've noticed is that there are TONS of totaled "parts" Corollas 2014+ on Craigslist and Ebay. I don't think that they are more damaged or dangerous than before, but the cost of replacing even just a few of the 8 airbags is too high to justify repairing them. Good for us when we need good used parts, or if we have an accident. I would much rather have my car "totaled" than repaired.
Definitely shop around. I was able to get comparable coverage for almost half of what I would have been paying with my longtime, now former, insurance company.

I'm 36, credit score close to 900, perfect driving record, and the car is an LE not S. I don't get it, I think it's time to shop around for the best price.
Interesting since credit scores max out in the 830 range. FICO has the highest number at 850 so nothing is close to 900. Even people with perfect credit rarely hit 830. I've got what is considered perfect credit at 800+ as does my wife.

There are so many variables when it comes to insurance rates. The only negative about the Corolla is the high theft rate. You can help yourself by installing an alarm and some type of tracking device if it were to be stolen. I've found Allstate and State Farm to be 2 of the most expensive insurance companies on average. I've got a 2009 Corolla S and I pay around $270 every 6 months with USAA. If you have any military connection look at USAA. They don't always have the lowest price for everyone but they have been rated #1 for many years for overall service. I've always had excellent service from them over the years.

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing when I got my first bill. I've tried to understand it, and one thing I've noticed is that there are TONS of totaled "parts" Corollas 2014+ on Craigslist and Ebay. I don't think that they are more damaged or dangerous than before, but the cost of replacing even just a few of the 8 airbags is too high to justify repairing them. Good for us when we need good used parts, or if we have an accident. I would much rather have my car "totaled" than repaired.
Definitely shop around. I was able to get comparable coverage for almost half of what I would have been paying with my longtime, now former, insurance company.
This is true of many newer cars with all the air bags and safety equipment. Cheaper to total than repair when air bags deploy.

Likewise. Clean driver record for three years (no accidents or tickets) and am even on tenure through a family member and ensuring the Corolla is so problematic that it causes a hike in the premium for their 2010 Highlander and 2016 Rav4. Ridiculous.

Interesting since credit scores max out in the 830 range. FICO has the highest number at 850 so nothing is close to 900. Even people with perfect credit rarely hit 830. I've got what is considered perfect credit at 800+ as does my wife.
Obviously I've exaggerated but was above 800 not too long ago and since then things have improved so it's probably up there. Regardless of credit I still call it bull$hit.

Most folks don't know there is an insurance "score" much like FICO. It's calculated via black magic (much like FICO) so no one knows for sure, but it has to do with claims history, tenure with a company, probably credit history, etc. It has come about since so many folks are frequently jumping companies looking for the best rates. Insurers want to have some idea of who the most insurable folks are.

My agent said mine was the highest he's ever seen and that was a 912. You may want to inquire about this with your insurer, although I'd guess they are reluctant to discuss.

Most folks don't know there is an insurance "score" much like FICO. It's calculated via black magic (much like FICO) so no one knows for sure, but it has to do with claims history, tenure with a company, probably credit history, etc. It has come about since so many folks are frequently jumping companies looking for the best rates. Insurers want to have some idea of who the most insurable folks are.

My agent said mine was the highest he's ever seen and that was a 912. You may want to inquire about this with your insurer, although I'd guess they are reluctant to discuss.
Hard to say what that number means if they don't tell you what the scale is. FICO has a max of 850 for their calculation they do.

I'm not being rude to anyone, but one of the FIRST THINGS I ever do before purchasing a car is getting a insurance quote. I call my insurance company, USAA(the best) and ask for a quote with the VIN. It is saved for 30 days. If I get the car great, if I don't then it hurts nothing. But it's always better to check before you sign the financial paperwork to purchase the car. Just a future pointer gentleman.

I'm not being rude to anyone, but one of the FIRST THINGS I ever do before purchasing a car is getting a insurance quote. I call my insurance company, USAA(the best) and ask for a quote with the VIN. It is saved for 30 days. If I get the car great, if I don't then it hurts nothing. But it's always better to check before you sign the financial paperwork to purchase the car. Just a future pointer gentleman.
I'll will definitely do this on my next car, probably 10 to 15 years from now since I'm done spending money on cars

Yeah, thats what I did. Before I signed the documents I called my insurance (Statefarm) and they gave me quotes for the L, LE, S Plus, and S Plus Premium.

Bunta

it's not just corollas, apparently a lot of sedans like honda, nissan and subaru are expensive since most of the times, young males who like modding them either have them stolen, crashed or just do Assassinine things like street racing and therefore causing accidents and getting tickets :3