Toyota Tire Rotation Pattern

Ted

I was looking through the manual for my '12 Corolla and noticed that the rotation pattern for tires Toyota suggests is simply front-to-rear which is what you would use with directional tires. I don't understand the thinking behind this. At The Tire Rack web site they give a number of rotation patterns. The one that would work for the Corolla is what they call the 'Forward Cross' which is what you would use with a front-wheel drive that doesn't have a full-sized spare. The OEM tires aren't that great and shouldn't require special rotation.

Can anyone enlighten me about Toyota's thinking.

Going back to the arrival of radial tires in the late 1960s—remembering this far back is the benefit of age!! the rotation pattern recommended was front to rear. The belts take a directional set and to switch sides, puts an opposite direction on the belts which made them prone to belt separation. I’ve owned many cars and replaced many worn out tires—and I’ve always rotated them front to rear. I’ve never had a problem!!

I have only started to rotate tires on the last three vehicle I have owned, I guess when I was younger I never really cared about the savings I would have in rotating tires. However since I have started I have done it this way, Right front to right rear, right rear to left front, left front to left rear and left rear to right front. I have only ever had non-directional tires and never had an issue with this pattern.

Going back to the arrival of radial tires in the late 1960s—remembering this far back is the benefit of age!! the rotation pattern recommended was front to rear. The belts take a directional set and to switch sides, puts an opposite direction on the belts which made them prone to belt separation. I’ve owned many cars and replaced many worn out tires—and I’ve always rotated them front to rear. I’ve never had a problem!!
This was true with early radial tires but not any more.

I have only started to rotate tires on the last three vehicle I have owned, I guess when I was younger I never really cared about the savings I would have in rotating tires. However since I have started I have done it this way, Right front to right rear, right rear to left front, left front to left rear and left rear to right front. I have only ever had non-directional tires and never had an issue with this pattern.
I do it this way too with non-directional tires. If I have directional tires they go front to rear and rear to front.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
today t a tire can last 30-80K if lucky, some may not rotate at all, and just buy new. By the time the person rotates they can spend from free rotations to over the cost of the tire. so one or two rotations will not hurt but people just ride and buy. We own a car, we lease a car we (I) rotate the tires old school