Trailering Jet Ski

Hey Guys,

So I have been riding jet ski's my whole life and really have a passion for them here in Florida. I want to buy a new jet ski but but I dont want to get a truck just for the only purpose of trailering the ski around. Do you guys think my 2014 Toyota Corolla S can tow it with no issues? The weight of the ski with the trailer is right around 1,000lbs and I see it says towing of up to 1,500lbs. What do you guys think? Ive seen people tow ski's with anythings from a Chevy Cobalt to a Corolla so I really think I can do it because a ski is so light, because I really dont want to make a 10k+ investment for a truck just for trailering while I just bought my brand new corolla.

If it weighs 1,000 lbs and the manual says it can tow 1,500 lbs I don't see what your question/issue is.

OTOH - towing anything is going to be a bit harder wear on the car - it might make more sense to spend $1500-$3500 on a used truck to trailer the jet ski and save wear and tear on the Corolla - but you have to factor in additional maintenance and repairs, driveway space, insurance costs, etc.

You'll be fine. Just make sure you go to the heavy-duty use maintenance schedule if you tow often and check your brakes (and it may help to spend the couple hundred bucks and get a set of slotted rotors with pads that have very low fade).

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Towing 1,000 pounds around will increase wear and tear on the transmission, which is $2,000 + to have rebuilt. As TigerHeli suggested, an inexpensive used truck might be a wise choice.

IFMJohn

Don't overlook SUVs either. My old 94 jeep grand cherokee (v8) was rated to tow 6500 lbs. I'd try to get a used tow vehicle also. I purchased that jeep with 187k miles on it for $1,500 cash.