Transmission Fluid Help!

Long story short.....slept maybe 3 and half hours last night and my brain wasnt working right. i went to open the oil drain plug and by MISTAKE opened the transmission drain plug. I realized the mistake within few seconds but the transmission fluid was pouring out like wine at a wedding party. Any ways i put the plug back on.
I used a aluminum food serving pan to catch the fluid. do you guys think if the fluid is clean enough to put it back into the car?
thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
That pan holds 4 qts, I had a 05 corolla and I did the drain and fill many times but I would get new fluid from toyota dealer just my opinion, just let it drain out the rest of the way and be sure and check it before you drive.

Again.....do you guys think i can just put back the transmission fluid that drained out into the aluminum pan? or do you see any "contamination issues"? thank you

Last edited:
Again.....do you guys think i can just put back the transmission fluid that drained out into the aluminum pan? or do you see any "contamination issues"? thank you
Seeing that you already did at least a partial drain of the transmission fluid, now might be a great time to finish the job. :thumbup1::)

With transmission fluids, it is a very good idea to change them at least once a year if you're using the cheaper petroleum based fluid, or just use a top flight synthetic transmission fluid like AMSOIL. I suggest this because a rebuild for the typical modern automatic transmission fluid runs $2,000 +. That's some serious money and changing the transmission fluid can help avert having that huge sucking sound coming from your wallet! :(

You can get the proper Toyota rated transmission fluid at virtually any auto parts store for about $20-$30. What year is your Corolla?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Long story short.....slept maybe 3 and half hours last night and my brain wasnt working right. i went to open the oil drain plug and by MISTAKE opened the transmission drain plug. I realized the mistake within few seconds but the transmission fluid was pouring out like wine at a wedding party. Any ways i put the plug back on.
I used a aluminum food serving pan to catch the fluid. do you guys think if the fluid is clean enough to put it back into the car?
thanks a lot!!

So you emptied the transmission fluid out by mistake, pour it back in do not worry.

The shop will do exactly that. If your pan that caught it was clean, you are good.

Might as well change the fluid with new fluid as long as it's been drained anyway and help that very expensive automatic transmission last longer. :thumbup1::)

Seeing that you already did at least a partial drain of the transmission fluid, now might be a great time to finish the job. :thumbup1::)

With transmission fluids, it is a very good idea to change them at least once a year if you're using the cheaper petroleum based fluid, or just use a top flight synthetic transmission fluid like AMSOIL. I suggest this because a rebuild for the typical modern automatic transmission fluid runs $2,000 +. That's some serious money and changing the transmission fluid can help avert having that huge sucking sound coming from your wallet! :(

You can get the proper Toyota rated transmission fluid at virtually any auto parts store for about $20-$30. What year is your Corolla?

thank you . it is a 2008
is this what i should be looking for??

http://www.brandsport.com/toy-00279-000t4-01.html

Last edited:
So you emptied the transmission fluid out by mistake, pour it back in do not worry.

The shop will do exactly that. If your pan that caught it was clean, you are good.

well that's exactly what i did. i waited for people to reply for a while while that stuff was sitting in the open. i figured ......let me take a chance ......and believe it or not pretended to be beavis and butthead while i was doing it. i just didnt care too much about the contamination at that point cause i knew the pan was clean.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
You can let the fluid sit as long as you like, and pour it right back in.

Like that Steak on the BBQ, it hit the floor, toss it right back on that grill.

But just remember same trans fluid, not an aftermarket.

Got to lv the perfectionsit here. never trying to be a know it all.

Toyota rated transmission fluid is available at a plethora of auto parts stores. No problems with using the correct rated fluid and in the case of superior performing synthetic transmission fluids like AMSOIL, the transmission will have better protection. :thumbup1:

Not all Toyota transmissions take Type T-IV rated transmission fluid. Type T-IV is not a brand but a performance standard that many different brands of transmission fluid meet or exceed.

What year is your Corolla? I can look up the correct transmission fluid for you.