Transmission not even sure of my question

I did a search on this website to see if this question has already been answered and I did not see it.
I have a basic 2010 Toyota Corolla.....

When I bought the car I was diligent about bringing a mechanic with me to check all the fluids..because in the previous year I had a vehicle that cost me over 10K and still had issues (it was not a Toyota)....

When I took the car in for the synthetic oil change at a Valvoline shop they told me that I should think about flushing the transmission. Because I had so many problems with my previous vehicle....I was searching the internet for whether it is good or bad to change transmission fluid.

I came with the take-away that unless I am having problems I should not have the tranny flushed and changed....at all....Because I read that doing a tranny flush at all can cause metal particles to become lose...and damage valves...and make my transmission have problems it has never had before.

I don't know if I am having problems...lol....It sometimes seems like when I am on the highway it will rev up the tach for no apparent reason...is that a problem with the transmission?

Also do you think it would be safer to just "change" the tranny fluid...without doing a flush at all?

As far as the color...it is a darker red...it is not pink...and smelling burnt? Who knows...it has a smell but it is a fluid that has been in this engine for 114K miles...so I don't know what a burnt smell should smell like...it smells like fluid.

Judging by your mileage and the color you described I think your fluid needs service. I didn't do anything to mine until about 96k and it looked a little better (on the dipstick) than how you described yours. I did a drain and fill and when it drained out it was very brown in color. I did a second drain and fill about 600 miles later and color was already improved. Now I do a drain and fill every year. I have not had any trans issues and even sent a sample of the fluid in for testing and results came back good. Doing a drain and fill is no harder than an oil change.

Thank you... I checked the level today..and it was warm on a flat surface....bla..bla...and it was in the cold range. So I think I have to add some fluid.
The color is not bad...I can see the pink in it.

The problem I have now...is when the kid at AutoZone looked at the computer for the type of fluid for my car...He said "Thats WEIRD"...I said WHAT is WEIRD?

He told me to hold on...he went to get some fluid...and told me to use that....its for ALL Toyotas...other cars..etc....

I came home and looked my owners manual up on line (didn't come with vehicle) and I saw it said:

Using automatic transmission fluid other than “Toyota Genuine ATF WS” may cause deterioration in shift quality, locking up of your transmission accompanied by vibration, and ultimately damage the transmission of your vehicle.

So I probably have to add maybe not even 1/2 cup...which is what I will start with.....But I don't know if I should to to a dealer and buy a quart of their tranny fluid?

I know the creeps will try to get me to do the work there or convince me it needs work....I think it just needs some fluid.

I kind of would love if someone could answer the able question I have tonight...cause I have to pick my sister up in the morning to take her to a lawyer in the city...I was really just going to add the fluid tonight...but I can be impulsive....and I think I shouldn't be right now.

Toyota Uses different types of trans fluid. You need to use Toyota WS . There are a few brands that are supposed to be WS equivalent. You should be ok adding the small amount that you need. Do NOT use something for all Toyotas and/or other manufacturers.

thank you so much for the quick reply...I have the ATF Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle.
I probably need 1/2 cup or something....So I am going to use this via this link says that Toyota says it is equivalent to WS.
(I can't post the link because i do not meet the requirments yet of 3 posts for this forum).
But thank you again.