Transmission Reliability

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Okay forgive my paranoia I have owned Chrysler my whole life and it wasn't the 3 speed torque flight so I always question the trans and I was wondering what is the lifespan of these units be it the 3 speed 4 or the stick shift. I personally own the 97 with the 4 speed and have 119k on the original unit has been well taken care of and the fluid at the moment is in great shape but I'm contemplating just doing a full fluid and filter change to amsoil but don't want to do it if I still have a ton of life left in the fluid in there it has been changed before at around 60k but with another 60k I'm wondering if I should hold off or just do it. Not wanting to fix something that isn't broken or even needed. Is there any experience of life of fluid in these cars and if I'm safe going another 30k while keeping an eye on it or just switch to amsoil and not even worry for another 100k this car is driven very nicely just my dd no hard driving or beating

Well, there's no harm it in. I wouldn't say this is a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it." More along the lines of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

'Cept in this case, it's four quarts of prevention :)

I'm with stu. Yeah ... you COULD go 120k without an transmission filter and oil change, but it could slip and burn up at 120,001.

Every 60k is good. I'd go and change the fluid and filter since you are about on the 120k mark.

It would be like pushing oil to 30k and just "keeping an eye on it" ... not worth it.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Well trans fluid doesn't need to be changed as often and there is no exact time to change it and most of the time if fluid is fresh and you are having 0 issues you probably don't need it when it was changed at 60k it was not need was done because the guy who owned it was super meticulous about maintainence and did it because he wanted to trans fluid is more than capable of going more than 60k under normal driving just wanted others experiences with usually how long it lasts and how long people have gone on it I've seen may ppl that will go the life of the car with same fluid and have over 250k on it with no issues and then there are ppl that change religiously and it will blow at 160k

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
So curiosity got the best of me today and I took my car for a check up on the trans at aamco they ran for codes and check the fluid and everything was cleared said to just change it for peace of mind to amsoil and then be good for another 75k easy!!!! I chuckled

carlile92 - One of the keys to long transmission life is making sure the filter stays clean and unobstructed. Some people change the automatic transmission fluid, install a new filter and then just drive the car. That's fine with a newer car that doesn't have any deposits, residues, or metal filings inside the transmission yet, but with an older transmission with many miles it is a very good idea to change the transmission filter again within a few hundreds miles or so. The reasoning is that the new transmission fluid will help clean out the transmission of residues, etc., and plug up the new filter, which then restricts fluid flow to the transmission, causing it to fail. With transmission rebuilds over $2,000 + now, not changing the transmission filter again after a transmission service is completed I feel is too costly of a risk to take, unless someone were independently wealthy. :) Transmission = $2,000 +. Transmission fluid filter = about $30. A no-brainer.

Below is a link to a Technical Service Bulletin from the Filter Manufacturers Council that discusses this very issue -

TSB-98-2 Transmission Fluid Evacuation Service

One of the things they discuss in this TSB is the frequency, (or lack thereof), of changing the automatic transmission filter -

Emphasis mine -

"Service manuals and textbooks on transmission service recommend that a transmission filter be inspected and replaced, if necessary, as often as every 15,000 miles (24,140km), for severe service such as city driving, desert (hot dusty) driving, extreme cold, frequent short trips, trailer towing, and delivery service. In normal operating conditions the manuals recommend to inspect and replace the filter at least every 30,000 miles (48,280km). Even the newer vehicles with 100,000 mile (160,934km) drive train service warranties, the manufacturer recommends filter replacement if the vehicle sees severe service conditions".

When you need the AMSOIL synthetic ATF http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/atf?zo=349698 , just let me know and I'll get you the prices we discussed via private messages.

Another very important factor with transmission fluid life and thus transmission life is heat. Aside from hitting a bridge abutment at 60 mph, heat is the #1 enemy of automatic transmissions. AMSOIL synthetic automatic transmission fluid reduces transmission fluid temperatures and also is much more able to withstand high transmission temperatures. Below is a chart showing how increasing hot temperatures can dramatically affect transmission fluid and transmission life. I hope it formats correctly here. The first column indicates temperatures in deg. F. and the column to the right indicates how long the transmission fluid will last in miles when subjected to the various temperatures listed in the column to the left -

Automatic Transmission Life as it Relates
To Thermal Oxidation of the Fluid

Fluid Operating Transmission Life
Temperature (deg. F.) Expectancy (miles)

175 100,000
195 50,000
Varnishes Form --> 212 25,000
Seals Harden --> 235 12,000
Plates Slip -----> 255 6,250
275 3,000
Oil Forms Carbon -> 295 1,500
315 750

Above 300 deg. F., severe component distortion occurs.
Data courtesy of General Motors

Here is a link to a field test with a taxi cab fleet where AMSOIL synthetic ATF was put to the test for 180,000 miles of severe service use without ever changing the transmission fluid. The transmission is torn down, inspected and pictures of the transmission parts taken so you can see what they look like after 180,000 miles of severe service usage without changing the fluid -

Las Vegas Taxi Cab Field Study (G3118) (1.5MB PDF)

Here are some pictures of technical data on AMSOIL synthetic ATF -

Last edited: